Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2011 Outback has been getting a little loosey-goosey in the front end. I replaced the struts and that helped, but there's still some looseness. The sway bar end links don't look to be in great shape, so I'm going to replace those next. I was hoping to stiffen up the ride a little with a performance upgrade, but it's a family wagon so nothing radical or too expensive. I notice there is a big jump in price to get adjustable end links, but I think that's a little fancier than I need. Is there a happy medium, maybe some poly end links that are better than the OEM, but not as fancy as adjustable end links?

Secondly, when I have the front end up on jackstands, I don't have any way to recreate the road conditions that lead to the clunks and clanking that I hear when I go over bumps. If there's play in the tie rod ends or ball joints I can find that, but I don't know how to diagnose things like control arm bushings or sway bar mounts. If replacing the end links doesn't fix the looseness, how am I supposed to diagnose the remaining problems?

lower ball joints can be checked with it on the ground alot easier. u get a pry bar between the a arm near the ball joint and pry down on the a arm if theres play u should see it in the ball joint. as far as the rear a arm bushings im not sure a great way to check those ... could try kicking the tire twared the back and if it moves alot assume its bad? i replaced both my a arm bushings chasing a shake and it helped alot even thogh they looked fine. assuming the newer outbacks use the same setup as the 2001