Ultimate Subaru Message Board

want two hitachi carburetors for my Brat

Hey Folks..I need two hitachi carbs for my 84 brat..It still runs ok but ......two old stock carbs would make it purr again.I have tried to rebuild a few over the years but they never came out right. any thoughts. I considered a couple webers but i don't thing they will fit...and i like to take off the air cleaner top ...just to show off the twin carbs .

• Like 2

Well, back before EFI or mechanical fi , more carbs looked better than one :) sounded better and drove better right up the rev range.

So at about 130 kph the loud pedal was only lightly squeezed instead of mashed to the floor and felt like had so much more to go

Brats made for  Japan had duel carbs.when we were buying low mile engines we always got the ones with duel carburetors...just for the coolness of it and they sure had more power...So.... i found two choices...one. hitachi ...carburetors made in China for $150 bucks or number two New old stock from japan for $600 bucks...And i know you get what you pay for but.....$300 compared to $1200 is something to consider.. so....any thoughts? anyone ever used a Chinese Hitachi ?  Thanks and stay safe ,todd  

7 hours ago, old sub freak said:

Brats made for  Japan had duel carbs.when we were buying low mile engines we always got the ones with duel carburetors...just for the coolness of it and they sure had more power...

It wasn’t just the twin carbs that did this. Those imported engines would’ve been the EA81S - exhaust and intake ports were swapped around to the way the EA82 runs (intake valve are the inner, exhaust on the outer), so a different cam was used to facilitate this. 

I don’t know of any other differences in the block etc other than the cam. It could have been a mild cam spec over the regular EA81. 

Carbs were just part of the ingredient list for the power delivery. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I want to know what differed to make the EA81S spin out to 8,000 rpm !

Oh to be in a position to do a Safari ( ala EA81 with those special after sale, Subaru supplied heads with IDF48? Weber's) to an EA82 , but that gets into big cams, solid lifters, adjustable by shim only .... :(

that Chinese Hitachi seller not named Ali - son of Mr and Mrs Express?

Edited by Step-a-toe

19 hours ago, old sub freak said:

yea,he didn't have real info about them other that it was a stock Hitachi. you can't beat $150 bucks but.......I was hoping to find someone that got one and see if its worth anything .

Let us know if you find an unused one.