Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey guys hopefully this is the right place to post this. So I have a 96 legacy outback and need to replace the struts. Im wanting to lower it a bit but not slam it, and ideas what struts/spring to use? I have heard of using wrx struts but also heard it slams it to the ground. I found some 1pc coilovers that say the fit the legacy outback and the wrx but not sure of how low it will drop it. Any insight is appreciated 

most here go up, not down.. not sure how much of a response you will get. Can I ask why you want to go lower?

standard Legacy (non-outback model) is typically a little shorter than an Outback - maybe 1.5 inches or so - standard Legacy struts & springs would most likely do what you want.

and KYB is the recommended strut, be very cautious of those "one piece" things.. Would also recommend getting new front mounts as well.. the bearings are probably shot if they are the originals

Easy - sell the Outback and buy a Legacy non-Outback wagon. 

Standard legacy stuts and springs would lower it about 3" and all the suspension cradles and bits will be dragging near the ground without removing the body spacers. 

Coil over that you are likely considering will ride like complete garbage. You aren't going to get into a coil-over with decent ride quality without spending minimum $1200. Probably more than a 96 OBW is worth. 

Honestly just buy the car you really want - it's easier to pass the Outback on as-is because plenty of people want them and no one really wants the regular legacy models. They tend to be cheaper and in better shape as they haven't been "used" for camping and off-road, etc.

GD

So to answer the question why down and not up, there is not much of a need for high ground clearance where I live (city, barely any snow ever.) And my 4yr old has a little trouble getting in and out some time... bigger boy. Selling the car is not really a option right now and the csr i want is well out of my budget for a while anyway.  Just trying to go like 1.5 maybe 2 inches lower.  Someone said just use legacy struts the same year, will it drastically lower it?

50 minutes ago, Cfoust said:

So to answer the question why down and not up, there is not much of a need for high ground clearance where I live (city, barely any snow ever.) And my 4yr old has a little trouble getting in and out some time... bigger boy. Selling the car is not really a option right now and the csr i want is well out of my budget for a while anyway.  Just trying to go like 1.5 maybe 2 inches lower.  Someone said just use legacy struts the same year, will it drastically lower it?

About 3" if you use struts and springs. Maybe half that if you only use the strut. 

GD

1 hour ago, Cfoust said:

Okvso regular legacy struts and outback springs... about 1.5inch?

Yes.  Although I haven't found anyone that's actually done it. 

Some outback tires may not fit legacy struts (they're shorter and the lower perch hits the tire).  Check your tire size or buy smaller tires if needed. 

Unfortunately no one has mentioned or documented which springs to use and taken good measurements. The only guy I could find that lowered his 1.2-1.5" used whiteline lower springs part number 70198, which is no longer available.  

I ordered a set of legacy springs and they had the same uninstalled length as the outback springs...maybe they're a lower rate and the outback compressed them more once installed but I want actually shorter springs since it's a lighter vehicle i'm installing it on.

Edited by idosubaru

Ok so I found some h&r springs, would regular legacy springs fit a outback strut? Im asking because the h&r 29868 says it fits a legacy outback wagon but i would hate to purchase them and have them not fit.

what kind of drop do the H&R springs claim?  Are you installing them on outback struts?

im unsure.  their website says “not outback” for all legacy springs. Not sure why.

it was my understanding that for the front, 95-99 legacy and OB springs interchange and 00-04 legacy and Outback interchange.  And maybe even all of them 95-04.

Edited by idosubaru

Tire clearance will be the biggest issue for this swap..

as already noted, the standard Legacy spring perches sit lower on the strut than the Outback version does..

take a look at your tire clearance now, maybe even take a measurement from the bottom of the spring perch to the top of the knuckle to compare with a standard set at a jy..  If there is not a lot of tire clearance currently, you probably will not be able to do the swap without buying new, smaller tires as well.