Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car jerks and shudders at 40mph around 1500rpm

Hey guys

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy BE5. For the past couple of years I’ve been having a jerk/ shudder when running on low rpms specially at 40mph on 1500rpm. It feels like the car hesitates/ jerks forward backwards. 

Ive tried everything from changing the tps, maf sensor, prop shaft, gear box, rear diff, egr, Idle sensor, injectors, throttle body cleaning, rear bushings etc but to no avail.

Would be great if anyone could shed a light to what this problem might be.

“Lugging” the engine. 

It will coast at those revs ok, but it won’t really like to pull speed from those revs in a high gear. 

Try changing down a gear at that speed to increase revs and see if that changes anything. 

If it persists I’d be looking at spark plugs, then leads, then the coil pack - one at a time to hopefully save money and identify the actual problem. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

“Lugging” the engine. 

It will coast at those revs ok, but it won’t really like to pull speed from those revs in a high gear. 

Try changing down a gear at that speed to increase revs and see if that changes anything. 

If it persists I’d be looking at spark plugs, then leads, then the coil pack - one at a time to hopefully save money and identify the actual problem. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Hey Bennie

Thanks man. I’ve tried downshifting and as the engine revs up the issue disappears. 

Does this mean I should avoid cruising at those speeds on lower rpms? 

Thanks heaps for your help.

Wicky 

I tested this out in my sister’s Gen3 RX 2.5 manual. Pulling 1500rpm in 5th is ~50km/h, which from memory is near 40m/h. 

Her car pulled up from1500rpm without hesitation. It did it slowly though and I didn’t bury the foot into the floor either. 

You may have an issue with your legacy - any stored codes? Check your engine mounts and the pitch stopper rod for wear too. 

Cheers 

Bennie