Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Forester XS and the sunroof will not open. I removed the glass and with the glass off, the mechanism works with no problem. 

However, with the glass installed the sunroof will only open about half an inch. I think there might something obstructing the glass at the back end, 

closest to the rear of the car, but I can't figure out what it could be. The sunroof was stuck partly open last time it worked and I had to 

gently coax it back into position and since then it won't open. I'm wondering if this is a common problem with a simple fix, or 

perhaps the electric motor is worn out to the point where it won't move the glass. 

It's getting hung up when the glass dips down to be retracted into the roof. The glass seemed to want to move slightly so I loosened the nuts 

and gently pushed it. I was able to open the sunroof completely, but it still gets hung up at that point when it reopens. I was hoping it was just 

an alignment problem, but perhaps the motor is too weak to fully retract the glass? I've read where someone replaced the motor brushes 

and got it working again.   

I’ve replaced entire outback sunroof assemblies with used for $75, easy, and lasted years with no failures. Never done a Forester. 

It may be that not many people deal with micromanaging For sunroofs, wouldn’t be surprised if you get very limited feedback on diagnosing and repairing the unit. 

Thanks. At this point I'm wondering if its the motor getting weak and not being able to retract the sunroof. I also took apart the passenger door yesterday to 

lubricate the window track and it didn't make a difference in performance. The window motors on these vehicles seem to get weak with age and then stop working. 

• 1 year later...

I cleaned my motor and it still does not close all the way. It's slow and it stop right before it lifts up to meet the height of the actual rooftop. Do you think replacing the motor will help? I was able to force it close by have someone keep the finger on the button while I pulled the sunroof shut. Thanks