Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Depends on where you install it.  If its a stationary bushing, like for the rear differential, yes, poly is a great material for that.  Control arm or lateral links though?  Poly doesn't like rotational forces unless you plan to lubricate them regularly.

I prefer SuperPro brand poly bushings, but I've also used Nolathane and Whiteline in the past.

Edited by carfreak85

On 6/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, carfreak85 said:

Depends on where you install it.  If its a stationary bushing, like for the rear differential, yes, poly is a great material for that.  Control arm or lateral links though?  Poly doesn't like rotational forces unless you plan to lubricate them regularly.

I prefer SuperPro brand poly bushings, but I've also used Nolathane and Whiteline in the past.

Thanks for the information and expertise (which clearly I don't have). I'm just looking for ways to make some modest upgrades to stiffen up the handling and performance. Maybe the sway bar mounts could be a good candidate for poly then, since those are fairly accessible for lubrication? How often do you think a poly bushing would need to get lubed?

If you're in SoCal, I think an annual inspection and relube would be sufficient, unless you find the bushings wearing out.  If you off-road or drive in dusty conditions, check more frequently.

Some anti-roll bar bushings have a "knurled" interior that helps retain additional grease and can help extend the time between inspections, so check for that feature.