Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New rebuilt ea81 oil pressure

Ok... My brat guy rebuilt me a semi fresh ea81 with an RV cam. He didn't have an extra oil pump so he took the one off of my old engine. He said it was good. Ok.. Here's my question. Cold start up ( after market electric gauge and sender) pressure is slightly above 75.. running Valvoline vr1 20-50. Driving home on the freeway I can slowly watch it drop to around 40- 43ish as the oil reaches temp. I know some ea81's oil pressure spec is 57@2500 and 43@5000. I'm not super concerned, but it would be nice to have some other input. Idle hot around 20. Haven't checked hot with shop gauge on the freeway. What's minimum hot @ 3000? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Seen thoughts that at op temp we often see under ten psi per thousand revs.

Australian market mostly had just the idiot light so most can have no idea , sometimes less stress :)

My non factory gauge liked to show zero at idle yet switch that has , what 6 psi ? trigger point, stays off.

My gauge sender died, still dead. Gauge is sometimes a toy :(

Edited by Step-a-toe

Check the wiring connector beside the engine where that wire has a sliding joint in it (effectively). 

I had issues with my temp gauge working and not working. It was an issue at this connector. Some wiring plug pin outs differ for different years, if the engine was a swap in drop, the wire at the plug could be in a different location to its mate. 

But with ~60k on the clock, I’d doubt its had an engine change, unless there was some catastrophic issue earlier in its life. 

Cheers 

Bennie

The brat has 327k on it.. The cluster I bought on eBay.. I also wired the sender directly to the contact on the back of the cluster marked o.p... gauge is intermittent... Game over for now.. just going to run with the aftermarket unit and gauge.