Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 1996 Subaru Legacy L Wagon. Recently put a Frankenmotor (original 2.2 heads with 2.5d block) in it and need a few inches of lift to clear the all terrain tires I'm wanting to put on.

I've pretty much decided to try the same year outback strut/spring combo to get another inch or two. What brand/website or parts store have people been happy with as far as replacement suspension components go? 

I prefer to buy the whole preassembled strut/sprint combo is possible but I'll make do with what I can find. 

I appreciate any tips or experience you guys can share! 

you will not find complete strut assemblies for one that old. Not anything worth having anyway.

KYB is the go to strut of choice for any Subaru. Springs to match and new tophats and associated parts (rubber isolators, etc) will allow you to pre-assemble before installation. verify all parts on a diagram to make sure you have everything you need. Fronts require a cone shaped washer to allow the strut to turn in tophat for steering.

Struts & springs should match the application you are taking from (ie: the outback, or forester)

Tophats should match the car you are putting them into (ie: the Legacy)

I did it this way when I swapped my 95 Legacy over to Forester struts.. all new components assembled off the car, then it was just a simple R&R to complete the job. Was very happy with the outcome.

Edited by heartless

I've read that the rear didn't raise as much as the front with the forester suspension. What was your experience with it and about how much lift did you get? 

Also what year forester gear did you use? 

Edited by SubieShop
More info

i used the 98 Forester struts/springs.. simply because we had one handy for parts to start off with. the used ones were pretty well shot so I updated to new parts later.

I was quite happy with the results overall and did not notice any major problems with tail sag after installing the new set. Even allowed me to use the larger Forester wheels..

You will notice that the rear wheel is slightly forward in the wheelwell.. the only way to fix that is to get the Outback trailing arm - it is a little bit longer than the stock Legacy one, but honestly it was not bad, and I never had a problem with anything rubbing

1718629523_oncarfull.jpg.6071b632e1748bb58da38663204a5196.jpg

15 hours ago, SubieShop said:

I just so happen have a '98 outback parts car. I'll see if the brackets are even reusable since the car is a rust bucket. 

If you’ve got a parts car why not transfer the whole body lift and add a strut lift for a bit of extra clearance? 

Also, you’d have the required part numbers on those struts. Add some new king springs and you’ll be apples. 

Cheers 

Bennie