Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Gl Ground Issue

I recently purchased a 1985 GL Hatchback, that at the time was running well and is in mint condition. The owner changed wires, plugs, and cap. I put a new battery in it the day after I purchased it. I drove it for about a month, no issues, running awesome. One day I hop in and it blows the #13 Ignition Coil fuse. I check all grounds (that are visible), change the IG Coil, the starter is fine.

ECU is flashing Code 14, Duty Solenoids. I followed the black ground from the fuse box all the way to the IG Coil to the cap with a ground fault meter. It signals everywhere. I am at a dead end and can't decide if the ECU is bad or if its a relay...Fuse 13 powers a lot of stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

You followed a black ground from the fuse box?

There usually no grounds at or through the fuse box, as I think E verything is positive.

Not all black wires are grounds, if they have a trace colour they will likely be positive not ground.

What if you disconnect ecu before next tracing

1985 Hatchback I assume is EA81 engine/ body/ Gen2 ?

And you said ECU . Controls carby ? Not familiar downunder with EA81 with ecu but if error says solenoid, have you found any ? Disconnect for test next fuse, test solenoid on its own

EA82 body shape Gen3 were only referred to as RXii ?

Edited by Step-a-toe

2 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

EA82 body shape Gen3 were only referred to as RXii ?

The turbo AWD units were. There were also base models. We were so ripped off not getting these in Oz! 

I think we need more details on the vehicle. My thoughts started out as an MY hatch but then wondered if it is an L series coupe once efi was mentioned. Or is it a SPFI concerted EA81 MY hatch?? 

Lets get those sorted first then go from there ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, it’s an EA81 engine, L series hatch, base. I went through the dash and carpet and found some exposed wires as well as in the engine compartment. Fixed a wire from the ig coil and last night the car started and then died, also replaced a few suspicious fusible links. Did this a few times and fuse 13 was not blown. This morning, it starts for a few seconds then dies. Then it blew the fuse again. 

I do hear the fuel pump kick on. Relays have resistance etc. My question: could a ECM cause this? I’m at over a month on this thing. 

Edited by glsubby
Info

Okay, so after sifting through more of the wiring harness and using a 9v signal meter I now have power everywhere up until the coasting shut off solenoids. (Which the ecm says). Now I need to either rebuild them or get lucky and find one. I have no idea how to rebuild nor if it’s possible. I’ll do more research. I wish I could get rid of the emissions completely. 

I thought this was the coasting shut off components but looking at my Haynes I’m not sure. There’s two, they sit right behind/underneath the air cleaner. Black/white and yellow/red wires. Fuse diagram says it’s connected to ignition and is always hot. 

3A80AE36-A36F-44DA-9D88-6CE019C1BB29.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. So I’ve learned a lot about cars and this Subaru over the last few months lol. I found the short to Ground and fixed it. The car runs. 

Stupid issue: I can’t for the life of me get the instrument cluster back in to where the visor can get in place. It also doesn’t sit right.

Any help would be so appreciated! 

2FCF0402-D508-493E-B320-6E8AB3192239.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to update, but, this has been solved. A factory wire (black that covers a white smaller gauge) going into a male/female plug. The female side’s white wire (going back into the black) was toast. 

thanks everyone, got the dash and interior back in. 

• Like 1