Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 head interchangeably

Hey everyone, long tim since I posted on here, maybe 10 years. Glad to see this forum is still around and hopefully not full of all the kids that used to own civics that switched to Subaru’s. The reason for today’s visit is that while pulling parts for my brothers truck I happened across 3 brats on a farm property, 2 standard 4wd ea81’s with a topper mostly in good condition. But inside the old auto shop next to the paint booth for the last 20 years sat a dusty but clean and straight 1986 turbo brat with 82k on the clock. Parked due to a bad head. I have the right of first refusal at a good price but wondering if the turbo heads are different from the na engines? I know these cars aren’t the pinnacle of reliability but Ive always wanted a brat (not an auto though) anyway. That’s my question! and for those who skip to the end.

1. can I use na ea81 heads on a ea81t motor? 
2. if not, who has a set they would sell me? 

The answer you don’t want to hear is no, they’re not interchangeable unless you’re stepping from EFI turbo to NA carb. 

You need the heads with the injector boss in them. 

When they said a head was bad, what did they mean exactly? Blown HG?? 

If it were me in your position, and I had the space to store it while pulling the engine down (and the mechanical knowledge to do it) and the desire to have a unique Sunday cruiser, I’d go for it, even more so if the body is rust free - that’s the bad part to get! 

A replacement head could be sourced. I might take some time but you’ll find what you need eventually. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

There is a good chance he has the year wrong, it is definitely a turbo. I looked it over it has the correct mirrors, trim, engine, etc. I do have the mechanical knowledge to do the work required (thanks Rick). If the heads are cracked can they be repaired? Also what is the likelihood they are cracked? Same as every other Subaru? I know these early turbos have a unfortunate disposition. Oh and they didn’t specify the condition of the head, it was a son talking for his father who had bought it but then couldn’t find a head. So it may be a head gasket or a bad head.

Edited by SoobGoob

6 hours ago, SoobGoob said:

There is a good chance he has the year wrong, it is definitely a turbo. I looked it over it has the correct mirrors, trim, engine, etc. I do have the mechanical knowledge to do the work required (thanks Rick). If the heads are cracked can they be repaired? Also what is the likelihood they are cracked? Same as every other Subaru? I know these early turbos have a unfortunate disposition. Oh and they didn’t specify the condition of the head, it was a son talking for his father who had bought it but then couldn’t find a head. So it may be a head gasket or a bad head.

Cracked aluminum heads can be hard to do correctly, though on something that rare it might be worth it if you can stomach the cost. If it's inside a runner you'd want to drill the ends and braze it. If it's on the matting surface you'd have to bake the whole thing, then weld it, then keep it wrapped up. Cast aluminum is a bitch to weld, and really wants to crack afterwards.