Ultimate Subaru Message Board

staked u-joints

The elusive front uni ...on the shaft I have looked the front is ~25 mm variety, non staked , nippled, shiny metal so has been replaced at some stage.

Uni on rear half are ~22 mm so , in my case, they are not the same.

Is your front one closer to 25 or 22 mm?

I need to look at my parts manual to see if it gives clues on part number or numbers if they differ over the years

Look down a few posts, think I entered trivia in a post title Toyota U joints

Yes sir. Thank you. The cap diameter looks to be  27 1/2 - 28 mm.  Rear shaft have larger.   How was the non-staked replacement one secured? Snap rings or spot welded?  A trusted mechanic friend told me I would have to spot weld them in and the odds of me getting it perfect so that it wouldn't vibrate were slim.

Oh boy...

Not but picking ( much) but you said plural on front half

Closer inspection reminds me the front half has one single uni joint as we Aussies call them. On the yoke out of gearbox

Rear of front half is the centre bearing

Rock did not seem to have anything larger than the 22 mm

SKF UJ10430 for the C clip style to replace staked type

i think the two tailshafts I had side by side were from 87 and 91.

One has staked ~22 mm, the other has ~25 mm and it's yokes are larger. It looks like somewhere in its life it had a larger style yoke welded to shaft side to take the 25 mm greasable jobbie.

Maybe yours has big heavy duty - oh, staked? Sounds factory.....

I thought I needed to start somewhere so ordered the clip style listed at twice price of staked and go from there.

Arrived yesterday.

SKF made in china

1594162918515-551458364.jpg

One manufacturer pointed out that the ones with C clips are not as heavy duty or recommended. Think C clips have smaller diameter cross.

Careful measuring prior to removal might get it centred nicely before spot weld

I was wondering if a drive prior to staking might harmonise things?

Which is why thought I would go the C clip method, may have to pay a shop to do some machining, but not the next time the joint needs easy replacement

Edited by Step-a-toe

By using the plural "them" I meant the individual caps on one u-joint. Sorry mate.  On YouTube there's  a guy using snap rings that are on the inside of the ears of the shaft since there aren't any grooves inside the holes to fit the snap rings in.  

8 hours ago, DLGL8388 said:

By using the plural "them" I meant the individual caps on one u-joint. Sorry mate.  On YouTube there's  a guy using snap rings that are on the inside of the ears of the shaft since there aren't any grooves inside the holes to fit the snap rings in.  

Was getting worried we got short changed on uni joint quantity as well as model range :)

Yep, seen one guy in a Subaru shirt doing a youtuborial so must be on the ball

i ordered the ones with snap rings or C clips that Rock sell for the EA82, list two options , had one staked in stock.

The clips do not fit in a traditional tailshaft yoke groove, but on the outside of the cap against inside flat edge of the yoke ears. I once imagined machine shop would somehow cut grooves into yoke ears, but I guess I was wrong for once :)

i need to look at what is needed, either simple quick file or a vi$it to the machine shop

Edited by Step-a-toe

By the way, I was wrong with my cap measurements. Yours were right. I must have gone out there without my glasses.

Went to NAPA yesterday with my u-joint. He found one slightly smaller with the clips on the inside like you describe. Looked like the one in the video that I watched slipped in there a little too easy as well. I'm wondering if I'll have to shim it. I don't think the guy in my video had a Subaru shirt on so I'll look for the video that you saw.  I'll take my yoke with me next time I go to town in a couple of weeks.   I'm still driving the car and am working on the one from my parts car so no big hurry.  Vibration is barely noticeable so far.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...