Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Legacy Strut question 1995-1999

I seem to be getting varied information about the strut application for my car. (1995  Legacy  LS  2.2  AWD Sedan)

I'm told mostly that the rear strut assemblies are the same for all 95-99 cars and wagons and that the Outback struts may be bigger/taller. Some say that 98 and 99 are different from the 1995, 96 and 97s. Some say that all are the same...like the Rock Auto catalog. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1995,legacy,2.2l+h4,1269806,suspension,strut,7584

I'm looking at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Subaru-Legacy-1995-1999-Rear-2x-Quick-Complete-Struts-Coil-Spring-Assembly/264629402196

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Todd

(Subaruparts.com)  Struts are the same 1995-1999, but the springs are different in 1998. Seems that the springs could not be that different to fit the same struts! Maybe made stiffer, as the 96-96 often developed sag.

16 hours ago, SUBARU3 said:

I seem to be getting varied information about the strut application for my car. (1995  Legacy  LS  2.2  AWD Sedan)

I'm told mostly that the rear strut assemblies are the same for all 95-99 cars and wagons and that the Outback struts may be bigger/taller. Some say that 98 and 99 are different from the 1995, 96 and 97s. Some say that all are the same...like the Rock Auto catalog. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1995,legacy,2.2l+h4,1269806,suspension,strut,7584

I'm looking at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Subaru-Legacy-1995-1999-Rear-2x-Quick-Complete-Struts-Coil-Spring-Assembly/264629402196

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Todd

I see you want the quick struts. Some of them suck really bad for Subaru’s. I’ve seen them installed a few times on Subaru’s by local shops. I guess some are good or you’ll get lucky but I’d put a little effort towards avoiding them if possible. 

I recommend KYB struts and mounts for Subaru’s. some of the aftermarket struts are awful. Floaty, fail, and if they weren’t so awful I might know, instead of guess, that their longevity is suspect. 

All the struts are interchangeable, the springs are different lengths and spring rates. 

I installed FWD rear struts on AWD 95-99s. A few years ago the FWD rear KYB struts were much cheaper so I just installed those.

Haven’t checked in awhile to see if that’s still true. And they could have changed applications - like just sell one strut for them all instead of one for FWD and one for AWD.  

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I see you want the quick struts. Some of them suck really bad for Subaru’s. I’ve seen them installed a few times on Subaru’s by local shops. I guess some are good or you’ll get lucky but I’d put a little effort towards avoiding them if possible. 

I recommend KYB struts and mounts for Subaru’s. some of the aftermarket struts are awful. Floaty, fail, and if they weren’t so awful I might know, instead of guess, that their longevity is suspect. 

All the struts are interchangeable, the springs are different lengths and spring rates. 

I installed FWD rear struts on AWD 95-99s. A few years ago the FWD rear KYB struts were much cheaper so I just installed those.

Haven’t checked in awhile to see if that’s still true. And they could have changed applications - like just sell one strut for them all instead of one for FWD and one for AWD.  

The reason I need to replace these is rear sag. I am assuming that if all the struts interchange, then the springs will  all physically fit, just some may be stiffer and or higher?

2 hours ago, SUBARU3 said:

The reason I need to replace these is rear sag. I am assuming that if all the struts interchange, then the springs will  all physically fit, just some may be stiffer and or higher?

yes. struts are interchangeable and top mounts are the same - so yes, spring just sits between them and will vary height and spring rate. 

if you're only concerned about sag and not struts - could you use a rear spacer?  For some models there are some 3/8" or 1" or other spacers available.  Unbolt strut, slide in spacer, reinstall and you're done with no strut replacement or part buying necessary. 

2 hours ago, SUBARU3 said:

I would prefer to get an assembly, so I can just bolt on and not deal with a shop to install the springs. Ideas?

I'd suggest buying the two cheapest rear used struts in the country on car-part.com or locally and install them. 

take your old ones and swap out the struts with KYB.  you can hand a shop the parts and they'll do it for pocket change.  but you will need to grease pen mark the top mount and lower mount location as these are fixed and need to retain their orientation for installing.  there is some wiggle room.  If it's a little off you just twist it and it's good. 

annoying - but so are aftermarket struts and top mounts.  i've seen 95-99 aftermarket legacy top mounts fail in less than a week.  BAM - strut shooting right through the brand new top mount.  i've seen other brand new aftermarket top mounts balloon upwards like an inch, maybe that's fine but no way i'd want that on a daily driver.  

i'm sure they work fine for some people and situation so don't let me scare you.  lots of people probably make it fine, but there's plenty of real world experiences that they're really bottom shelf options too.  

and it sort of makes sense - most people that want complete units are cheap and trying to be quick, inexpensive rusty old cars in the northeast, used car dealers, shops that just want quick turn around volume - so that demand is created by cheaper/lazy people - there's little incentive to make the pre assembled units high quality parts. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

You don't need a spring compressor for rear springs. Just have a friend push down on the top hat and start the nut. Rears don't have really strong springs. 

And yeah quick struts are typically garbage. If you can't do it then just pay a reputable shop. 

Primitive racing sells King raised height springs. We use them quite often to combat rear sag. Call them and get a recommendation and a quote. 

GD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2