Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all, this is my first post here. So I recently did an RWD 5-speed swap on my 93 Subaru legacy. For the first bit after the swap the car was fine but now it seems to be in some sort of limp mode or something like that. If I drive the car smooth with just a little throttle I can possibly get up to 5k in 1st and 2nd sometimes and 4-5k in the rest of the gears, however if I try and get on the car a bit it won't go past 4k at all. It also seems to have an issue where after I've driven the car for a bit it won't accelerate, sometimes if I take the car out of gear and just coast for a little I can get it to accelerate a little bit but not always. I've already replaced a bunch of stuff, tps went in yesterday new knock sensor crank and cam position sensor, new O2 sensor brand new fuel filter, cleaned the maf and the throttle body and it probably has less than 100 miles on the oil and filter. I could really use some help as the car for the most part is undrivable. 

Edited by Jarsky

16 hours ago, lmdew said:

The IAC was different between the Auto and manual trans, I believe.

The ECU also needs to know it's a maual and not an auto.   Do a search, the info is here.

The ECU has the manual identification pin in and grounded, and should I take the IAC off the parts car engine, and clean it up? 

15 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Plugged exhaust is what it sounds like. 

GD

I thought the same so I swapped out the header and cats for some spares I had laying around. While it did make the car feel a bit better it still doesnt entirely fix the problem. I also just went and filled it up with gas( which it gladly took from the pump this time) and it drove better than it's been driving in the past 2 weeks. 

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I thought the same so I swapped out the header and cats for some spares I had laying around. While it did make the car feel a bit better it still doesnt entirely fix the problem. I also just went and filled it up with gas( which it gladly took from the pump this time) and it drove better than it's been driving in the past 2 weeks. 

Don't discount the possibility of a plugged muffler. I've seen it.

GD

19 hours ago, lmdew said:

Could be old/bad gas.

Mighty try a little gas treatment and or get a full tank of premium in it.

I thought so too so I added an cleaner, plus I run the car on plus for when I take it to the track. Drove the car today to work and getting there was fine ish but on the way home it died twice. Kinda felt like it might've been missing but I'm not 100% sure.

18 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Don't discount the possibility of a plugged muffler. I've seen it.

GD

Muffler or cat? The car doesn't have a muffler ( for now I'm trying to find one) and the cat has been replaced but might still be bad possibly. What's the likelihood that it's the cat over something having to do with fuel? I plan on manually cleaning the injectors and changing out all the seals to rule that out. The car does have 273,000 and while I did a bunch of oil seals I didn't do anything for fuel besides throw in a used sti tank a new filter and some better rubber lines in the engine bay 

took the fuel pump out of the car and it has a bunch of what looked like possible corrosion, and the pump also had no strainer on it so im hoping that this is what wrong with the car. I never checked the pump just threw the new tank in. ill post an update tomorrow after i throw the pump in.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, moosens said:

Blow it out from front to tank.But not into the tank , right ? 
 Put a strainer on it. 
And whatever GD told you.

Welp it turns out the pump was just bad, bought a new one and the car is fixed. Probably should've checked that before I threw the tank in but you know how it is getting excited. Thanks all for the help.

IMG_20200712_141241_487.jpg

• Like 1