Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did a couple oof quarts of transmission fluid blow the main seal of the transmission?

hope you guys can help. I have a 2001 L.L Bean outback H6 (Best **** car Ive ever owned). I replaced all 4 of the trans fluid coolant hoses (one failed so I replaced them all). No doubt I overfilled the fluid and the dipstick said it had a little too much fluid. I figured it would be ok. So on the way to work a hellacious amount of smoke was in my rear view mirror and so much it was inside the car as well. I pulled over and looked underneath and it was gushing fluid about where the tranny hooks to the motor (or so it appeared). Cranked her back up to make it to a service station and the transmission was slipping pretty bad like I had a clutch pedal to the floor. My question is did a couple of quarts too much fluid blow the tranny seal? Am I going to have to pay an obscene amount of money for the transmission to be pulled to replace the seals? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure it didn't just overheat and dump fluid out the vent or one of the lines you installed didn't rupture or pop off the nipple. 

Replacement 4EAT's are cheap, and labor is about 6 hours. I don't know what you consider obscene but when we replace automatic transmissions with used one's, it's usually less than $2k

GD

3 hours ago, heartless said:

a couple of quarts (half a gallon) would be WAY overfull, not just a little.. and yeah, it could have blown something if there was that much extra in there.

half a quart would be no big deal, but a couple of quarts?

Well these take about 8-9 quarts so 2 quarts over might not be all that bad. Also they ARE atmospheric vented so pressure shouldn't build up to any significant degree. For sure it's not a great idea to overfill it - not ideal by any means. The most likely result being aeration of the fluid leading to cavitation of the pump and possibly noises and lack of proper lubrication.  

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well throw this idea into the mix. If whatever fluid he put in, or the mix of two different types caused it to foam, it could push enough fluid out the vent on top and make the fluid low enough for the tranny to not work correctly. Also, the tranny will not work with foamy oil, it must be a liquid.