Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0303 08OB after sitting in high humidity

08 OB with 105K. I get P0303 when car has been sitting in garage and humidity is off the charts.

Runs like crap then after sitting out in the sun (drying out) engine smooths out and code disappears after drive cycles.

Wires or coil? 

Edited by brus brother

• 10 months later...

P0303 is Baaaack!

I swapped cylinder 1 and 3 wires a few months ago but the code doesn't follow the wires.

Still showing cylinder #3.

Was pretty cool and rainy around here for a few days then popped over 90 today. The garage was dripping with condensation. Ran rough until I opened the hood outdoors and let the humidity settle down.

Coil?

If coil it is, any opinions on decent aftermarket or any ole one'll do?

Edited by brus brother

try running it when dark out.. pop the hood, start the car, and look for arcing.

can be done at anytime... humid or not.. just use a spay bottle to mist moisture over the coil area.. if it is the coil, you will see it

sometimes the arcing is bad enough, it doesn't even need to be dark out lol

this was on my 95 Legacy... https://youtu.be/jMNfF-vcUDs

• Like 1

Any silicone dielectric goo (that's a term of art) will do, and use it liberally at both ends of the wire after cleaning everthing up - once the arc starts, it creates carbon tracks that it likes to continue to follow, especially on the surface of the (ceramic) plug insulator.  If it still acts flaky and the fault sticks with the cylinder, you may have a hairline crack in the insulator, so you're just going to have to replace the plug.

Edited by jonathan909
  • Like 1

Wow, that video would seem to indicate that you might get codes reading adjacent cylinders.

any thoughts of oem or aftermarket (specify brand if you like) for a replacement?

as I said I have already swapped wires and the code fault stayed with the cylinder so the wires would seem to be OK.

honestly, that situation is not real common, so I would go with a used OEM one matching your year, or close to it. that was what I did - grabbed the coil pak off my old 1990 Legacy and plopped it in.. no more problems

and yeah, you would think it would show more than one misfire code, but it only ever threw the one cylinder, and it was always when it was damp out.