Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU BLOWN? Cranks but no power?

It took me a while to even summon up the courage to be humbled/humiliated by everyone publicly when they hear I found the solution...

Every day after working in a 110⁰ printing shop (where I am the owner and as any business owner is well aware, it is a STRESS FACTORY), I would come home to tend to my delicate steed, the 1984 subaru gl wagon 4wd. 

And hey, cut me some slack, Im only 23... lol. 

The diagnosis was, no power to the dash, and no fuel delivery. After swapping the stock hitachi carb for the weber dgv 32/36 and following the instructions to the best of my ability, I proceeded to replace the fuel pump as well. I lost dash power right after the terminal (unsure of color) popped off my IG switch and made contact with another terminal. I checked all the fuses (or so I thought). Another week went by and I trudged myself back over to my nightmare vehicle just to find a fuse HAD blown. Despite the frustration with myself, it was a HOORAY moment. Dash power is back.

But still no fuel... I checked power the FPCU, I checked power to the Fuel Pump, I checked power to Neg lead of IG coil on crank, all good.. SO WTF. 

So after countless hours scrolling through forums, reaping the internet, flipping through my haynes manual endlessly (and slamming it shut a few times) it was my dad who found the solution. 

My dad hates working on cars. He has refused to give more than 15 minutes of input every time I ask for help. But he asked me.... if the fuel pump.... was pumping the right direction.....

"OH MY GOD, ITS NOT" I thought.

After 15 minutes out here on this fine Oregon morning and we have power and fuel delivery once more. 

I know the idle speed screw, timing, timing advance vac, and fuel mixture will all be the antagonists for today but we are 1 step closer to getting her back on the road.

Thanks for reading and feel free to dig in, you wont hurt my feelings. haha. 

• Like 2

You mean you failed to tell us you hooked up pump fuel lines in reverse order?? 50/50 chance of getting right

There is probably a person out of a job fitting big red arrow stickers on pumps because the bosses felt it was an unnecessary cost !

You are not the first or last to need another's input to help you realise you stuffed up.

Now you need to enter Rockauto repair mistakes and blunders monthly competition :)

8 hours ago, JSIMONIS97 said:

Every day after working in a 110⁰ printing shop (where I am the owner and as any business owner is well aware, it is a STRESS FACTORY), I would come home to tend to my delicate steed, the 1984 subaru gl wagon 4wd. 

And hey, cut me some slack, Im only 23... lol.

That’s a fair effort mate! 

Don’t worry, I spent six months trying to work out why my old EA82 would only run on one cylinder bank or the other. We had all the timing marks lined up “correctly” when putting the belts on. But you must have one cam 180 degrees out in relation to the other one. 6 MONTHS of on and off work between uni before we cracked that nut! 

The main thing to take away is the spirit of giving it a go, and when the chips are down, continue giving it a go while keeping an open mind and reaching out for help. 

Many will not give something new a go, because the risk of failure is “too high”.

Keep up the good work! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

SOLVED. Dear mother mary and sweet lord baby jesus we got her to fire. It was the disty out 180⁰

The funny part is, the distributor cap is labeled with number denominations saying "1-2-3-4" and I wired them to the corresponding cylinders. The numbers labeled on the cap were off. 

I am attaching photos of what had me stumped for nearly 2 months. 

The yellow is the correct wiring.

The red is the 180⁰ out.

20200814_115722.jpg

Hey hey !!

You will do it again.

Partly our fault for not digging deeper on every step you undertook to change what Fuji got right

And photos. We need to ask for photos each time.

Now that you have it, shouldn't need to undo things for some time. Take a tip from me if you like...get those coloured cable ties about 100 mm long.

Red for #1 , blue for two, grEEn for thrEE, yellow for four

Zip around dizzy posts and both ends of HT lead

Then trim excess

Seeing that Weber makes me want for a carbed, wet fuelled engine again to try my Weber on one day

Edited by Step-a-toe
  • Like 1