Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual transmission metal on plug

Did the transmission fluid on this car for probably the first time in it's life, and there is a good bit of very fine metal on the plug. Fluid looks ok, not burnt. Has 130K on it, and only issue I have is 4th can be hard to down shift into from 5th. Also have a bit of whine when not in gear at idle.

20200714_144646.jpg

44 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Normal. In fact, looks like a pretty small amount for a manual transmission with that many miles on it. ASSuming it's actually an old-gen car, very small chance it's never been done in that time.

I have all the original service info. After the warranty ended, it only ever got oil, tires and brakes. Not even air filter or plugs! Last dealer service was at 48K.

17 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I have all the original service info. After the warranty ended, it only ever got oil, tires and brakes. Not even air filter or plugs! Last dealer service was at 48K.

Wow. Again, ASSuming it's an old gen, and that's really 25-30 year old oil, it's definitely time to get it out of there. But the shavings are nothing to worry about. They use a metallic plug for a reason because shavings happen.

Yep, plain jane GL-50 80w90 will treat it well.

• Like 1

Service recording continued beyond dealer servicing is reassuring you know what happened. It is when there are no records and an inch of grease like sludge in the bottom of the sump that you marvel at their survival given their lack of care, let alone service.

I must admit when it comes to transmission and diff I renew with old school style fluids when car comes my way and feel confident to almost not change it again for 100,000 km