Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05' Outback 3.0 VDC

scalman

so what i bought . just normal city outback 3.0 VDC model

OXMsQ80.jpg

and what it became to, first 5cm/2' lift spacers and larger tires 225/65R17 those had problems to fit there and live so i cut some plastic off there and hamered some stuff with hammer but in end all worked on those tires, and later i went for 7cm/2.8' lift just on spacers nothing else done

uV1MbXZ.jpg

and it works pretty cool , on high speeds on highway or just cornering tight in city this lift just works. front sway bar still in place , on this gen front sway bar is working with lift , though rear sway bar went off because it cant fit with lift .

HgseHJm.jpg

numbers in cm with 7cm lift

6mscu3j.jpg

front and rear proper recovery points and hili ft jack lift points

G0Z31B0.jpg

gAoeYNi.jpg

and roof rack modified from 2001 

5HbZVSU.jpg

so now that hi lift jack  can be on full use 

TuXf8av.jpg

lD71uMc.jpg

and alike allways nothing is bought everything made by myself and because car was for trips so made something for myself too and to have small fire with us allways . very cmpact but made from pretty strong steel not thin

xDHqaj1.jpg

TpKFNrH.jpg

and we sleeping in car too in trips with some foam matress it feels like sleep at home rly for 2 its just great. its taken from previous 2001outback that rusted away so i needed new car. 

Edited by scalman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@el_freddo my 2001 i bought it rusted allready , this i bought in good shape and yes i put allready some protective layers in those places that get splashes from road most.  and i will check for those areas every year anyway so i can see if some problem will appear. for now i have some kinda problem with car when it goes into some kind of limp mode, its laggy on low revs , doesnt want to spin wheels in sand so much and such... i know people say those cars with autos and VDC just behave more laggy anyway , but i think i should have better power and torque there... still trying to find those problems, then maybe i will make it more off roady as i love doing diy stuff and for now its nothing much for this car to do really. So in time will try mud tires and maybe even more lift like 4' half on subframe and half on struts as most do. 

as of now its goes with roof rack daily and sometimes with bikes in rear

its just nice to able to take bikes with you and explore even more without car , maybe loose some weight same time lol, i need that for sure. 

Ft78AuI.jpg

testing some kind of wind deflector hard to tell is it now more silent or not but its not hurting there for sure

qPrCRG8.jpg

mjDGk7F.jpg

if not going to deep mud or any mud those winter tires still work ok on sand , any forest roads , rocks , gravel not bad too. but for sure i want to test it some more.

if camping just us 2 then we sleep in car only not even going for tents anymore , but sometimes im doing full car full bags , then some xtra tents sure needed for those other people. but for me its best in car on foam matress. tested different kind , air matress too and find that foam is just more compact , easier to put and carry and very comfy, not too high as well. 

hagBNfn.jpg

made for myself that silent and loud mode, depends if i go alone and want to have some louder fun there i can allways make that loud mode for myself... then just close it and have silent city mode , nice for passengers too

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

went to some hardcore MT tires on some cool 15 rims that i painted myself in white

Atjuvg3.jpg

SZJwd09.jpg

RxaTlja.jpg

is it hardcore off roader now ? well no as my gearbox went to limp mode because of direct clutch solenoid went stuck or smt wrong with it 

2RELRSm.jpg

Edited by scalman
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

now propper rear spare tire carier foldable back, 2 positions full back and just enough back so trunk will open for smaller spaces

fKXX0JT.jpg

2j4IRnr.jpg

hi lift jack winter edition upgrades 

LI5aWOT.jpg

and as winter is here and snow is here that means to have lots fun with car

QGozREZ.jpg

BLaurVi.jpg

lsdPL16.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

how rear diff broke. looks like mine as all 2005 outbacks on 3.0 are 3.27 there , so will look now for other used one. cv axles are fine strangelly they didint broke or anything , only diff . 

when i lift rear car passenger side wheel spins freely with cv axle and in diff there it bad noise , but drive shaft doesnt spin . driver side wheels spins with cv axle too and with drive shaft means that side is still good then . i wonder in wat way that diff could be still used , maybe make it welded diff then. 

had some fun just before it started clicking rattling noise

Edited by scalman