Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all! Got a 1997 Legacy L 2.2L.

Got it on a good deal for about $200 and a few cases of beer. It has 179,500ish miles on it.

Air blows at feet and through the defrost vents. Pushing buttons to change air flow don't do anything. I don't think it's the button cluster,(idk what it's called) I think it's the actuator. 

I've pulled the cluster and cleaned it, lights came back on for a bit but didn't stay on. Managed to test the brown connector connecting to the actuator (almost impossible) with a volt meter and it seemed pushing the buttons to change the directions of air flow did cause different parts to go hot.  

So with that out of the way. Do I have to tear apart the whole dash to replace the actuator?  And going to a junkyard to get the parts, what range of models/ years are compatible? 

Actuator motor is on the driverside of the dash at the center counsel airbox.  You can see the linkage from under the dash, after removing the kick panel.  It's tight but you can change it.

Get a good visual on it first.  It could still be the control panel.  Does it move with any dash button selections? 96-99 panels should fit. Legacy and Outback