Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on 1988 XT-6 Automatic, sitting 18y in garage.

Hi there...

I have a black 1988 XT-6 with auto trans and AWD that has been sitting UNTOUCHED in a garage (except for the piles of stuff that have accumulated on top of it) for the last 18 years. It was the SECOND car I ever owned, and I still remember thinking "Oh hell yea!" when I floored it out of the dealer's lot on a test drive. I think it had 80k miles on it back then, and 140k now.  I've been thinking for awhile now about if it would be possible within reason to get it back on the road, and before I do anything I thought it prudent to seek advice on what's possible, and what needs to be done in what order (to avoid making things worse), from those whom have been there before I.

So, I would appreciate anything anyone has to say about the topic, and thank you in advance.

Here's some info I remember from before I stopped driving it...18 YEARS AGO. (And, yes, I remember dreaming, as apparently others have, about turbos, and apparently there was one in Japan only? I'd be happy with it moving under it's own power now. :)

* 140,000 miles or so as it sits. It drove fine then but hasn't been started since.

* Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the keys to the vehicle. (see my first post in the relevant thread, please)

* At the time, I was replacing one of the front half-shafts. I think the core is still in the trunk.

* The air shock system is in the attic and replaced with used coilovers I found from a FWD XT6 in a junkyard. Air ride was much smoother, but I didn't have an extra $1200 burning a hole in my pocket. (Any hints on shock replacements that will fit?)

* In the past, I've replaced both valve cover gaskets, oil pan and trans cover gaskets, exhaust, diff. fluid, front half-shafts, CV boots, both timing belts, water pump, and probably oil pump? Obviously incidentals like brakes, plugs, wires, and distributor parts. Accel supercoil. Most of the work I did myself. I kept mileage/maintenance records but I have no idea where they are now. If I remember correctly, I used to average around 17mpg.

* The ONE TIME I let my (ex) GF drive it, she mangled the front fender but there is a replacement in the attic, along with a replacement headliner if it's still ok.

* I don't think the headlight washers ever worked. It made a noise like the pump worked in the passenger rear quadrant, but nothing came out; maybe clogged or I never found a separate resevoir, if there is one.

* Power had stopped reaching the rear wheels. It drove fine otherwise, but before I was never able to spin the wheels on takeoff. I think I read somewhere there's a fuse or fusible link that activates some kind of separation mechanism or clutch, maybe it got stuck in the open position? Anyone know this problem? I never got further troubleshooting it beyond some wheel turning tests with the back end jacked up. I think that wound up being "normal"? Don't remember.

* If you think that one's out there...my FIRST car was a 1978 rabbit that I traded a week's work for to my first employer because I needed to get to work and it was sitting in his back yard. It had a white body with black dash and blue seats, grey hatch, mahogany door panels, and a blue hood with a Mack bulldog bolted to it. GAS engine (with MPFI in '78!) but DIESEL 4 speed trans...it would only break 90 going downhill, but I towed all kinds of cars out of the snow in that thing...someone's jigsaw puzzle. Gotta have a laugh once in awhile.

Thanks to all very much. Take care and be safe.

Great story! 
yes , get it going. 
Plenty of advice will pour forth from our wonderful group here.

Naturally you’re dropping the fuel tank and blowing out the lines , reverse polarity to the pump and flush it , all that cool stuff. 

Start hunting more of those valve/rocker cover gaskets, you’re going to need those for sure. NOS getting harder to find. 

Hoping to see the progress. Good luck ! 

Fresh gas. Tank might need cleaned. 

New timing belts and regrease or replace timing pulleys. One of The pulleys are NLA.

Plugs wires cap rotor air filter and make sure there’s no bugs or debris or mud dauber nests in it. 

95-04 Legacy front struts. Keep the rear FWD XT6 or use any EA82 and you can dial the height in with whatever length coil spring you want.  They’re a common size diameter. Get whatever length and spring rate you want. I have 10” and 200 pound I think and it sits above stock height. 

or email me and sell it to me. 

• Like 1

Bring this car back to life!! I've been putting one I purchased almost a year ago back together piece by piece. At the moment im a little behind but gotta keep these 6's alive!

If its 100% original I would keep it that way personally, just my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...