Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine reccomendadtions?

Hi!

I'm the happy owner and dweller of an 85 Vanagon. I'm wanting to do a conversion, so I've been looking up Subaru engines. It looks like the EJ22, especially the ones that were made in 97 and after are the most reliable and fuel-efficient. However, it seems like those are also hard for me to come across.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for types of engines I can look into? I just want something I can rely on that can turn my home into a daily driver, and won't be a complete mechanical nightmare.

Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, AbigailVM said:

Hi!

I'm the happy owner and dweller of an 85 Vanagon. I'm wanting to do a conversion, so I've been looking up Subaru engines. It looks like the EJ22, especially the ones that were made in 97 and after are the most reliable and fuel-efficient. However, it seems like those are also hard for me to come across.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for types of engines I can look into? I just want something I can rely on that can turn my home into a daily driver, and won't be a complete mechanical nightmare.

Thanks in advance!

1990-1998 EJ22 are all equivalent.  90-96 are "better" but a 97-98 becomes equivalent if it has new Subaru OEM timing belt, pulley and tensioner.  Don't use a 99+ Ej22. 

1. If a 98 and earlier EJ22 isn't an option, or I wanted high miles and long use out of the engine (and couldn't find a low mileage/known good EJ22), I'd probably lean towards a JDM 2.0 engine.  Use a US EJ25 intake manifold, flywheel, and ECU and it installs just like the 90's EJ's you're considering.  All those EJ25 parts bolt right up to the JDM 2.0 and then it's all easy from there:

https://jdmenginedirect.com/new-products/02-05-subaru-outback-20l-sohc-engine-motor-jdm-ej203-legacy-outback-forester-crydd-awlal

2. a complete car is another option - if they've been damaged they're a good candidate as it's known running/driving engine. 

3. www.car-part.com for engines - search all legacy and impreza stuff from 1990-1998, they're all interchangeable and useable for your project.  Avoid 99 and up EJ22's. 

4. The owner of SuperiorImports in Portland is a member here and may have some EJ22, or other, engine options for you. 

Edited by idosubaru

7 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

1990-1998 EJ22 are all equivalent.  90-96 are "better" but a 97-98 becomes equivalent if it has new Subaru OEM timing belt, pulley and tensioner.  Don't use a 99+ Ej22. 

1. If a 98 and earlier EJ22 isn't an option, or I wanted high miles and long use out of the engine (and couldn't find a low mileage/known good EJ22), I'd probably lean towards a JDM 2.0 engine.  Use a US EJ25 intake manifold, flywheel, and ECU and it installs just like the 90's EJ's you're considering.  All those EJ25 parts bolt right up to the JDM 2.0 and then it's all easy from there:

https://jdmenginedirect.com/new-products/02-05-subaru-outback-20l-sohc-engine-motor-jdm-ej203-legacy-outback-forester-crydd-awlal

2. a complete car is another option - if they've been damaged they're a good candidate as it's known running/driving engine. 

3. www.car-part.com for engines - search all legacy and impreza stuff from 1990-1998, they're all interchangeable and useable for your project.  Avoid 99 and up EJ22's. 

4. The owner of SuperiorImports in Portland is a member here and may have some EJ22, or other, engine options for you. 

Heck yeah! thanks so much! This is really helpful!