Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stoopid dog - 1984 Brat

UnorganizedMechanic

3 hours ago, UnorganizedMechanic said:

It's where I keep all my most valuable parts, specially my muffin tops. 

Ancient mechanic technology, use the old lady's baking hardware to keep your nuts and bolts. :)  

I use our old rusty cake tins for this and collecting the odd oil drop from laid up engines or vehicles. They’re very handy for catching small amounts of oil when opening up rocker covers etc too. 

@UnorganizedMechanic - I reckon you need to bin that EA81. Keep the oil pump (do not hit it or you WILL crack the housing rendering it useless). 

Options:

1) find a good EA81 to drop in

2) EJ it. You won’t look back once it’s done. If doing a full DIY you need to push through the poo that so many give up in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

21 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I use our old rusty cake tins for this and collecting the odd oil drop from laid up engines or vehicles. They’re very handy for catching small amounts of oil when opening up rocker covers etc too. 

@UnorganizedMechanic - I reckon you need to bin that EA81. Keep the oil pump (do not hit it or you WILL crack the housing rendering it useless). 

Options:

1) find a good EA81 to drop in

2) EJ it. You won’t look back once it’s done. If doing a full DIY you need to push through the poo that so many give up in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

So many uses for baking tins, I love it.

Here in California there are more hoops to jump through than a seal in a circus when doing engine conversions of that extent.  Plus it's more money I'm trying to not spend.  Good idea though and I'd love to do it, but as for now I'm going to crack open the ea81 carefully and see what I've got to work with.  Plus a brand used ea81 so far is around $300 - $400 USD from these local maniacs that horde them.

If anything, it'll be something fun to document and share. 

Thanks for the comment @el_freddo.

• Like 1

This hunk of junk is registered. The engine is out. The cylinders look like poo. PB blaster didn't do much. Trans/marvel/diesel cocktail didn't help much to loosen the pistons.  Attempting the old Coca-Cola sauce to loosen the rust. Evapo-rust is on the shopping list. Lots of hammering and torching the pistons yet to come. 

Edited by UnorganizedMechanic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That’s a crazy amount of dedication and effort for an engine that many, including myself, would’ve binned! 

Have a bit more faith in your work! I guess having a low expectation won’t be so disappointing if it does leak, smoke, not run! 

Make sure your valves are correctly adjusted. The first time I fired up my EA81 after a semi similar build, it was only running on one bank properly as the other bank’s valve gaps were too tight and not making full compression. It smoked heaps too, my heart sank - I forgot that I oiled the cylinders during the slow rebuild, once this burnt off she was smoke free! 

This is what came with my brumby many moons ago. One small bit of pitting at the top of cylinder 1 or 2, can’t remember now... 

1fnw.jpg 

We drained out about 15L of an oil and water concoction! This engine dropped an internal Welch plug and dumped the coolant into the engine. I’m still driving this engine, so with the work you’ve put into yours it should run fine, unless the carb etc needs further attention. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Sad 1