Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 l series vs 2005ish h6 outback off road

Raynman1989

How would an ej22 manual with low range l series compare to a h6 outback auto without low range? I've currently got a lifted ej22 l series and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2005ish h6 outback auto. I would eventually lift the outback 2-4 inches when funds allow it.

I'm leaning towards the outback as it's newer, more powerful, safer, better on road, better parts availability. I don't do any extreme off roading but I do a lot of sand driving and occasionally go to the local 4x4 parks. 

Basically it comes down to will the outback without low range still be just as capable in the sand and occasionally doing some medium difficulty 4wd "only" tracks?

Edited by Raynman1989

in my opinion the outback would sink like a rock in the sand especialy with the h6

my 98 outback sucked in the sand so did the forester the impreza is ok but dont hold a candle to true 4wd and a low range and on road its a differnt story the l series suck on the road compaired to a lifted ej series

i also hated the 4eat trans because that trans hated the sand it would puke tranny fluid if driven in the sand to long

in my opinion the l series with the ej swap is the best offroad combo you can piece together out of subarus the second best is the impreza with the ej22 and the l series duel range

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... this is a good question. 

They’re both well suited to sand work in my opinion - tyre sizes and widths will play a big part in capability. 

The H6 with a large trans cooler would probably be more reliable overall. Look into whether the auto has VDT or the old clutch pack centre. I can’t remember which is best and I’m not 100% sure which one can have the diff lock switch mod done to. 

I love my L series for all sorts of off-roading including sand. It’s an EJ22 with the L series AWD dual range box that has the locking centre diff. Three inch lift and 27 inch tyres. One of the biggest problems I’ve had is keeping the engine cool - it’s a long term ongoing issue for this vehicle. Only a problem in sand working really hard. Around town and on the highway no issues with cooling. 

The outback will definitely have better parts availability across the board compared to the L series. The outback will be more comfortable out of the box. 

If you love to tinker and like the older shape, go the L series. 

L series will have a bigger boot/cargo area than the outback. 

At the end of the day it’s your call, I think both would be as good as the other in performance once the outback gets more lift. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

Very different cars. I wheeled lifted EA82s for years, and was in the middle of building a 25:1 Subaru 5MT for my Brat. Then I took our stock '04 Outback H6 VDC to the local offroad park (old iron ore pit mine, VERY rocky and technical), and did a lot of the same trails, in comfort, with the A/C on, with the torque converter I was able to just gently drive over obstacles that would have been a dance on the pedals and a cloud of clutch smoke.

On the terrain I'm used to, at least, I don't want a clutch offroad unless the crawl ratio is AT LEAST 100:1, preferably more like 150:1. Can't touch that in a Subaru.

But, from what I understand of sand driving with an auto, it generates a ton of heat which pretty quickly becomes a problem. So consider the terrain at those local parks, as well.

I also don't miss street driving my EA82s, the Outback is a freakin Bentley by comparison.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Too much tyre pressure is a killer in sand! The softer the sand the lower the pressure. 

With low pressures, no sharp turns or you could roll the tyre bead off the rim and have a complete flat that’s got sand in it. That or you end up with a slow leak due to sand between the bead and the rim. Been there done that a number of times! 

Cheers 

Bennie

just driving on sand H6 outback wont have any problems. air down and drive. depends what sand it is. i drove on sand with wither tires without any problem. autos are better on longer trip off road i would think . your manual clutch can cook fast there.