Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Unsolvable steering wheel shake

My '82 GLF coupe has a wheel shake at highway speeds that persists even after new tires, brakes, brake rotors, repacked bearings, tight suspension, rack, tie rods and new front axles. I noticed the output shafts on the trans (5MT) are pretty sloppy and have a lot of movement. The axles also make sounds like they're worn out when slow speed cornering even though they are new. Anybody dealt with this, and is it possible the loose trans output shafts can cause a bad wheel shake at high speeds? If that is it there is probably not much I can or will do to mend it. 

Jack up the front end of the car and run it in 1st (very carefully letting the clutch out). Get out with it idling in gear and watch each wheel rotate.

You could have a tyre with a bubble in it or it’s out of round, or you could have a bent hub (been there done that). 

Or it could be something like the hub not being completely centred on the hub and studs. Are they factory rims (less likely to be the issue)? 

The drift shafts to the front wheels could cause problems with vibrations, but not through the steering, you’ll feel that throughout the whole vehicle. 

All the best with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I think the axles are "good" for the purposes of this problem. Factory wheels but the hub could be an interesting diagnosis. I had to replace one already due to worn out splines but it could be out of true, I'll check. Alignment is pretty good, no super uneven toe that I believe would cause this. 

I have an erratic wiggle and, once, taking the car to Les Schwab, an experienced tire person had to beat one of my wheels straight again, those wagon wheels seem to be problematic as far as easily being made crooked. I also suspect that the front axle on that side, the right front, got tweaked from attempting to jump the snow-covered curb while aiming for the driveway after our "Snowpocalypse" a year and a half ago.

Try to do one thing at a time between tries.

Some of us throw everything at problem at once and can't pinpoint ,but problem goes :)

Not sure if anyone does on car wheel balancing anymore.

A 'finish' balance, on car can make up for extra bits in the steering and suspension causing imbalance

We bought one mid 80's but was out of service more than in due to the pick ups in its lower control arm supports

Only recently scrapped it after snaffling it's German components like hinges and wheels n axles :)