Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Saab 9-2x Linear

WhatsASaab

Have a 05 Saab 9-2x Linear, powered by a TIRED EJ253, non turbo SOHC, and a worn out 5sp manual (211k miles on all original powertrain). Bought it lifted on stock tires, previous owner told me it was on forester shocks, no clue what springs or anything. Tires are 215/70/16 and fit with the skirts removed and some mild frame-bashing on the rear. I'd like to move the rear tires rearward if I make custom control arms for it. Don't have a more recent pic than the first but I have the front and rear fenders fully chopped, like you can see in the second pic (I have since welded the rear quarters back together). Oh yeah and it was once a Vermont car so it's decently rusty and was pretty beat up so I don't feel too bad about chopping up a "rare" car

Anyone know where I can find a dual range forester transmission to the US? Want to swap one into the car.

KyRFfBz.jpgaAeW47R.jpg

Edited by WhatsASaab
reorder pics

What you need is to drop the rear swing arm mount the same amount as your strut lift has. This will put the wheel back in more of a central position. 

So odd to see a rebadged and styled subaru like that. It’s never happened over here. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

What you need is to drop the rear swing arm mount the same amount as your strut lift has. This will put the wheel back in more of a central position. 

Thanks! I guess I forget it kinda moves fore and aft with travel.

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

So odd to see a rebadged and styled subaru like that. It’s never happened over here. 

AFAIK the 9-2x is the only time that's ever happened. Literally just different bumper, headlights, badges, and I think the taillights are slightly different. Oh and the airbag says Saab instead. My interior actually all came out of a junkyard WRX, the previous owner did share that much with me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhatsASaab said:

... AFAIK the 9-2x is the only time that's ever happened ...

There were Subaru Foresters being sold in india as Chevrolet Foresters.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:19 AM, WhatsASaab said:

... Anyone know where I can find a dual range forester transmission to the US? Want to swap one into the car.

Here in Honduras... But you'll need to buy the Whole vehicle to obtain the needed parts.

Kind Regards.

Underlined words are web links to further information on the subject.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:30 PM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

There were Subaru Foresters being sold in india as Chevrolet Foresters.

Here in Honduras... But you'll need to buy the Whole vehicle to obtain the needed parts.

Kind Regards.

Underlined words are web links to further information on the subject.

The Forester thing is news to me, very strange indeed!

I ended up finding a seller stateside for the dual range box, but he wants upwards of $3000 US for one. But it would be fully rebuilt and effectively brand new. I probably won't do the dual range until I inevitably blow up the stock 5 speed or if I find the gearing to be way too high (which I might)

I think Saab also did a restyles legacy too. I rode in one in 2009 when I was in the states and we visited a friend that had it. 

That was when I became aware that Subaru and Saab did this. Later I found out about the chev forester. This probably happened as a result of GM owning Subaru for a while there (or at least having a decent stake in it!).

Cheers 

Bennie

• 5 months later...