Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good. 12 volts on that fuse indicates the power out of the ign. switch is good. I didn't want you to change the TCU and find out later you need a switch.

If you want to check the pins at the TCU, these are the 3 to check for power.

The wire color on Pins 1 and 6 is Yellow. Goes hot with ign. ON.

Pin 14 is Yellow - Red stripe. Always hot.

The image would be looking at the wires on the connectors plugged in. Notice the release tabs at the top of each one. Pin 1 is in the upper right corner of each one.

TCU sockets.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am in Allen, north of Dallas and having this same exact problem!  I just posted about it in the forum.  I was thinking my problem is TCU related as well.  (Damned Horned Frogs!) <---Texas Joke

Anyways, SUBARU3, you seem knowledgeable and you're local.  We should meet up!  I'm new to Subarus.  Love my little Legacy SW and want to get it driving again.  

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Rampage said:

Yes, I thought, hey this is familiar. Had to go look.

Glad to hear you fixed it.

Our 95 RHD 473k miles third tranny and is still using the same TCU.

473k!!!!  WOW.  Always good to have spare electronics if you plan on keeping a car long term. 

Mileage isn't so much the problem as age compounded by environment. A garage kept car will be less likely to suffer the extremes of temperature, and humidity. Also where in the country the car lives, and there's a significant amount of luck involved. But the solder used and many of the components like electrolytic capacitors will eventually fail. It's only a matter of time. 

The ECM in my 86 Trans Am worked fine when it was parked but 11 years later when I pulled it from the back of my friends property to resurrect it the ECM would barely function at all and had to be replaced. It wouldn't pull codes, and though the engine would run it wouldn't idle most of the time and smacking the ECM housing would result in better/worse operation depending on the moon and the stars.

GD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2