Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake/running light socket

My passenger brake light likes to work intermittently. Wiggling the wire around will get it to work temporarily. I looked on Rockauto, and they don't have a replacement socket for an 89 GL, but they have a replacement for a Loyale, that says its a turn signal socket. It has 3 wires like mine, and it looks like it takes an 1157 bulb. Is there any difference between the 2 sockets besides color? Stupid question i know, I just want to be sure about what I'm going to buy.

So the socket for the Loyale on Rockauto is just a little different. There are 3 alignment tabs on it just like the socket on my GL, 1 big, a small one, then a medium one. The big and medium ones are what lock the socket into the housing. The small one on the Loyale socket is clocked different than the one on my GL. The small tab is like a rotation stop or whatever so you don't twist it too far. Well anyway long story short, the replacement for the Loyale will fit in it just won't rotate to lock in. 

I marked the amount of rotation on the old socket with a welding marker, then trimmed the rotation stop tab off the new socket and marked it where it fits in. It will twist in now and the marks line up. Now I just need to wire it up .

• Like 1