Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump for EJ20 turbo reliability

I’m finally putting together my EJ20G for my AUDM RS liberty wagon. 

szDFwo.jpg

(Those rims are dead now)

It’s not going to be an all out attack vehicle, more so closer to stock just to enjoy the drive. 

My question, mainly asked of @GeneralDisorder, is this. Would this 12mm oil pump do a good job to avoid oil starvation at some point in its life? 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-91-11-Subaru-2-0L-2-2L-2-5L-SOHC-High-Performance-Oil-Pump-EJ20T-EJ25T-EJ22T/400782310472?hash=item5d507cbc48:g:17UAAOSwxH1ULDJz 

If not, what would you recommend? I remember someone saying somewhere that the EJ22 oil pump isn’t great (first I’ve heard), but I can’t find the reference to this.

This build will have wrx heads with the hydraulic buckets over valve setup. I don’t need solids, shim over or shim under as I’m not for all out high rev gear changes everyday, maybe occasionally. 

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Negative. Those cheap black painted pumps (and and Orbit branded "ACL" pumps) have serious problems with the relief valves sticking open and producing zero pressure on startup. 

Use an 11mm oil pump for an STI. You don't need a 12mm. Those are for twin turbo applications and engines with AVCS, etc. 

GD

• Thanks 1