Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 Legacy with the 2.2. Over the winter I blew the top radiator hose, but it turned out the water pump was bad and it overheated. I had a local shop replace the head gaskets in March, they seem to buy a lot of Subarus and fix them up to sell so figured they knew what they were doing. After getting it back it seemed to still have an antifreeze smell but never saw any leakage. A week or so ago on the way to work it got hot. When I went to fill it up to get it home it didn't take as much coolant as I expected. Since then it has been dripping from what appears to be where the water pump bolts to the block. This weekend I took it apart and checked the pump. Everything looked ok, although the gasket seemed a little warped. It was the metal one. The parts store only had a Felpro paper gasket so I tried it with some high tack gasket sealer on both sides. It started leaking before I was even finished filling the radiator.

Could the water pump already be bad after 5-10k miles? Would coolant leak out of the weep hole when its not running? Should I try to use some blue RTV and make a gasket instead of using a new factory one? Should I replace the pump already or is it more likely the block face is uneven and it won't seal?

I had a cheap aftermarket pump leak at the shaft seals 2 days after installing it. Replaced it with a DAYCO and it was fine.

If the shaft seals leak, it channeled to the rear of the pump behind the timing cover, so it won't get on the timing belt.

I use high tack on one side to hold the paper gasket in place while mounting the pump.

There is a piece of rubber used on the timing belt covers that can get in the way of mounting the pump. I pull it out. Maybe that got between the pump and the block and the pump is not seated on the block.

10 hours ago, jonbfish said:

I have a 98 Legacy with the 2.2. Over the winter I blew the top radiator hose, but it turned out the water pump was bad and it overheated. I had a local shop replace the head gaskets in March, they seem to buy a lot of Subarus and fix them up to sell so figured they knew what they were doing. After getting it back it seemed to still have an antifreeze smell but never saw any leakage. A week or so ago on the way to work it got hot. When I went to fill it up to get it home it didn't take as much coolant as I expected. Since then it has been dripping from what appears to be where the water pump bolts to the block. This weekend I took it apart and checked the pump. Everything looked ok, although the gasket seemed a little warped. It was the metal one. The parts store only had a Felpro paper gasket so I tried it with some high tack gasket sealer on both sides. It started leaking before I was even finished filling the radiator.

Could the water pump already be bad after 5-10k miles? Would coolant leak out of the weep hole when its not running? Should I try to use some blue RTV and make a gasket instead of using a new factory one? Should I replace the pump already or is it more likely the block face is uneven and it won't seal?

If it's coming from the weep hole - the pump needs replaced. 

If it's from the gasket - clean the engine side surface and water pump surface REALLY GOOD - green scotch brite pads, i'll even use very light grit sand paper on some, but you shouldn't do that unless you're very familiar with subaru/aluminum engine work like this.  install a Subaru OEM gasket and make sure all the bolt holes and bolts are clean. 

Buy a Subaru or AISIN water pump

• Like 1

I can't tell for sure where it's coming from, but it does run down the back and drips off the oil pan. What grit sandpaper are you suggesting? I used some 1000 on the pump face but it seemed like it was too fine to do anything. A scotch brite pad sounds like a better option. I'm going to ask the shop what brand water pump they used.

Edited by jonbfish

Yeah I already changed a hose clamp on the upper hose because it leaked a little during a pressure test. The mechanic said it was an AISIN pump. I got new lower hoses, a new OEM gasket, and a couple new bolts. Does this look like anything is coming from the weep hole? I see a little trail but not sure with the dust on there if it could already be bad.

IMG_20200818_201745989.jpg

On 8/10/2020 at 8:29 AM, idosubaru said:

If it's coming from the weep hole - the pump needs replaced. 

If it's from the gasket - clean the engine side surface and water pump surface REALLY GOOD - green scotch brite pads, i'll even use very light grit sand paper on some, but you shouldn't do that unless you're very familiar with subaru/aluminum engine work like this.  install a Subaru OEM gasket and make sure all the bolt holes and bolts are clean. 

Buy a Subaru or AISIN water pump 

So I replaced the above items, and as I was filling the radiator it started leaking a little. It's running along the oil pan and now dripping farther back than it was. The only other possible culprit I see is maybe the block plug? Either way, this is before the engine is even started that it starts dripping, even before its filled with coolant. Any other ideas of where to look? Or would the water pump leak just on a fill before its even ran?

8 hours ago, jonbfish said:

So I replaced the above items, and as I was filling the radiator it started leaking a little. It's running along the oil pan and now dripping farther back than it was. The only other possible culprit I see is maybe the block plug? Either way, this is before the engine is even started that it starts dripping, even before its filled with coolant. Any other ideas of where to look? Or would the water pump leak just on a fill before its even ran?

Yes, a water pump can leak without running.

you said you “replaced the items above”: exactly what did you replace?

If you replaced the pump and gasket and it’s still leaking in the same area then you need to confirm the precise source - trace it and find the source of the leak. 

I hate guessing when we have no pictures and incomplete information but if two pumps leaked in the same way then it’s not the pump.

1. Check gasket mating surface. It may be compromised. 

2. Check the hose - is it degraded internally and not sealing on the pump?  This seems unlikely given the locations and how and EJ pump is located in the engine bay. 

3. Look for the source of the leak and see if you have a very rare casting block leak.  This is very improbable but if the source is the block, there can very rarely be casting imperfections that allow coolant leaks and the very few (like two) I know of where both in the front Timing belt area. But I hate to even mention this because most of the time this is just going to be a normal leak that wasn’t seen due to experience, diligence or lack of detail. 

on that wild last wild note you could google search and see if anyone has posted pictures of these leaks.  They probably all happen in the same 1, or a couple, areas. If one exists, a picture may help you know where to look. 

Edited by idosubaru

29 minutes ago, ocei77 said:

check the elbow hose that goes from the pump to the water bypass pipe that feeds the throttle body.

O.

That’s a great point, this has a good chance of being a case of mistaken identify. On that note - check the small half circular hose behind the alternator, it’s “close to the water pump”.  I think all EA82s have that one. 

• 4 weeks later...