Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 Outback with a 2.5 and a bad CVT trans

5 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It's pretty much the same. Good luck finding a good one for an 11 though. The damn things are just garbage. 

GD

What is the issue with Subaru CVTs? is it brand specific?

Subie tech told me they are beginning to age out and showing their weaknesses.

Is it something to still be wary of and if not, after what year did they improve?

1 hour ago, brus brother said:

What is the issue with Subaru CVTs? is it brand specific?

Subie tech told me they are beginning to age out and showing their weaknesses.

Is it something to still be wary of and if not, after what year did they improve?

Early models like 2011-2014.  You can probably get a general idea by looking at Subarus extended CVT warranty, which was their response to CVT issues. 

Im not well versed but the little I know I recommend people aim for 2017+ if they’re looking for 2010+ vehicle. 

• Like 1

The "high torque" CVT's seem better. Introduced on the H6 and turbo models. I want to say like 2015 or 2016. 16's with the 3.6 definitely have them. And the turbo cars. 

The rest were straight garbage and there's no fix. The junk yards are always tapped out of them due to demand. They are going the same way as the CVT Justy. In a few years they will be gone from the roads. 

We swapped in a "good" replacement from a reputable national yard in an 11 not long ago and it went 20 miles then just stopped. Had to be pushed into a parking lot. 

GD