Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 OB Valve cover gasket replacement (tighten head bolts too?)

200K miles andin addition to leaking VC gasket,  a variety of issues from shock top mounts, cv joints, P0420, leaking HGs (radio works fine) are pushing me towards retiring the car. It is our second car but whenever I drive it I leave a puddle of oil. Subie tech suggested a complete HG and reseal but that starts to outspend the value of the car. 

Severe leaking from drivers VC gasket. Some HG leak on top of passenger side puddling in recesses (not from the PS pump).

Just replacing the driver VC gasket might slow the leak (quoted $60 one side or $100 labor both sides) but question is would it be reasonable while in there to retorque or even overtighten the head bolts or am I just looking for trouble?

It used to be done back in the day when it was stud and nuts - no stretching. 

DO NOT “retorque” the head bolts on any EJ engine. These bolts’ final tightening sequence is done by rotation in degrees, not by measured tension. 

Leave them alone. 

Either do the required work on the engine and run it or just do the cam cover seals and wait till it spooges a HG then bin the vehicle if it’s not worth anything to you. 

Cheers 

Bennie