Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 subaru gl in need of a turbo kit and bigger carburator

“Kit” - that doesn’t exist.

EJ22 swap or enjoy it for what it is are the only two practical options for the majority of people.  Other options require fabrication, customization, figuring things out on the fly, well above average skill sets or $$$$, which usually isn’t an option when the first question asked is “where’s the kit”?

14 hours ago, Wazurdad said:

I am new with this so thanks for the advice 

When I say enjoy it for what it is, they’re great vehicles. Old of course by now but they’re very reliable and simple machines. No computer and no timing belt -  change the oil and don’t let it run hot and it’ll run forever. 

I have a 83 subaru gl and I also just got a 1980 dubaru tje 83 is front wheel drive and u the 80 has the 4wd option. Can i pull the rear end to the transmission from the 80 and put it in the 83. Also can do i have to swap the 5speed from tje 83 to the 4 speed in the 80 or can i keep the 5 speed 

• 2 weeks later...

Can swap 4wd rear end in to the 2wd. Will have to drill holes and work out how to get captive nuts in there for the moustache bar mounts. 

4 speed must come over to the 2wd body for the 4wd. The 5spd box is 2wd only and can’t be modified to be a 4wd box. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:29 PM, Wazurdad said:

I need the vacuum hose diagram and how it all goes together with the intake manifold and the carburater. Please I am new with doin my own mechanic work it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help 

Hey, download the "How to keep your Subaru alive" pdf that I have linked below. Should hopefully answer most simple questions.

http://www.suberdave.com/USMB/HTKYSA.PDF

Given how old these cars are, I would actually recommend keeping fairly stock unless you've done extensive reading and/or have bottomless pockets. There are a few turbo swaps around, but they're all fairly big-dollar builds by the time they're all sorted properly. Not an easy undertaking.

I enjoy driving mine for what it is - a 1.8 carbie 80s car. No point making it something it wasn't. If I want power I drive my Nissan V6.