Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced P/S pump with a rebuilt unit from Rock Auto. Steering is better, but in a cool morning, the steering fails to feel like power steering, Just plain hard to steer. My question, is how to determine if it is the pump or rack that is the problem. Thanks for any advise.

Is that a remote reservoir system? or is the reservoir right on top of the pump?

Either way, it sounds like it's sucking air. The hose on the remote reservoir ones gets hard and doesn't seal when it's cold, a screw clamp can do wonders there, as the formed hose from Subaru is not cheap, there's also an oring between the hose adapter and pump. The reservoir on the pump has an oring between it, a new pump should have come with that oring, though.

Have to get Subaru OEM power steering pumps. Aftermarket are always complete trash. I won't install them even if the customer offers to buy them. I just flat out refuse. When they do work it's for a short time and then they take a dump. I have better luck just resealing them myself or getting used ones. About 80% of the aftermarket pumps we have tried just won't ever stop whining and you can never get the air out no matter what you do. Lost cause. Get a new Subaru pump while you still can or a reseal kit from Subaru and fix your original. 

It's not the rack. They can leak, but they don't just stop working. 

GD

On 8/26/2020 at 2:23 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

Have to get Subaru OEM power steering pumps. Aftermarket are always complete trash. I won't install them even if the customer offers to buy them. I just flat out refuse. When they do work it's for a short time and then they take a dump. I have better luck just resealing them myself or getting used ones. About 80% of the aftermarket pumps we have tried just won't ever stop whining and you can never get the air out no matter what you do. Lost cause. Get a new Subaru pump while you still can or a reseal kit from Subaru and fix your original. 

It's not the rack. They can leak, but they don't just stop working. 

GD

Getting back to fixing my p/s pump problem. Life has gotten in the way to fix this project.  I don't see a leak, so it must be a mechanical problem. I checked you tube, all I see is how to r&r all the seals to fix leaks, not anything on how to repair the mechanical action of the pump.

How much is a new genuine Subaru pump? Any way to tell if a pump from a yard is genuine?

Thanks for any advise.

Rooster2

Make sure your hoses or orings aren’t bad and sucking air. 

Used, rebuild it, or new. 

Avoid aftermarket completely. They’re terrible. I’ll install used ones all day before I buy aftermarket.  anything 2004 and earlier is really easy to get a good used OEM pump.   Get one from Lmdew above, he offered. 

2005 are a pain in the €¥‘&)!! because Subaru OEM frequently have issues after 10-ish years and there are no rebuild kits for them.