Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy LS sedan....height adjusters any good??

5 minutes ago, SUBARU3 said:

It could also be just the optics on this car, as like was said, the opening on the front wheel well is so much larger.

Agree, I think my last reply should make sense. It’s more obvious with larger than stock wheels. 

1 minute ago, idosubaru said:

Good pic - looks like what a general disorder said, and exactly what happens with XT6s like I said earlier.  The larger wheels make it more obvious. As the tire diameter increases the gap difference becomes a larger percentage of the total. 

A rough illustration: 

imagine the gap is 9” and 10”. The front is just over 10% more than the rear.  Small percentage.  If you increased tire diameter 8” then the gaps would be 1” and 2”, and the front is now 100% more.  

spacers would be easy and sounds like a good fit for avoiding strut work. 

Personally I’d look to see if I could easily find stiffer or slightly longer springs. if You can buy generic springs they can be inexpensive.  I’ve done it from ground control before, numbchux talks about them a lot and that’s where I bought springs. Though last time I looked I couldn’t find their catalog I’ve seen before.

someone has probably done it before and can tell you what length and rate spring to get. 

• Thanks 1

There is nothing wrong with the car pictured. That is completely normal and how they were built. Look at the bottom of the car - the pinch weld area. It's level with the ground. Just as it should be. Draw a line parallel to the body trim line along the doors and see where it intersects the wheel well arches.... this is just the saggy-butt look of that vintage of Legacy. It's normal. 

And of course since that's entirely normal, replacing anything with stock parts will not "fix" it. 

The King springs would not only help to visually split the difference, they would handle more cargo weight. Just get a set and put them on the existing struts and hardware. Made in Australia and sold by a reputable US based small business. Just call Blake at Primitive Racing. Trust me. You don't need the matching front springs. They will sell you just the rears. 

GD 

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2020 at 6:17 PM, SUBARU3 said:

DSCN0450.JPG

This is a perfectly normal stance for that car. The reason the front has more "clearance" is so the suspension can flex while the wheels are turned, so they don't rub the fenders. No need for this on the rear since they don't turn.

5 hours ago, SUBARU3 said:

Just for clarification.....Early Outback wagon rear struts will fit a 1995 Legacy sedan? (Increasing height about 2")

I've heard that Forester rear struts (98-2000) may be a better option?

Thanks guys!

'96-'99 Outback struts are a direct fit, they will raise the ride height about 2" but there's more to do than that if you want normal longevity from your axle shafts and to have your rear wheels in the center of the wheel well, You'll also need the subframe spacers from an outback and the rear trailing arm spacers.

Other model and year strut assemblies vary on lift and fitment. There is a post somewhere on the net that details all the different options.

13 hours ago, SUBARU3 said:

Just for clarification.....Early Outback wagon rear struts will fit a 1995 Legacy sedan? (Increasing height about 2")

I've heard that Forester rear struts (98-2000) may be a better option?

Thanks guys!

i can verify the Forester struts will fit a 95, and they do raise the car a fair bit...

I had put the forester struts under the 95 lego L wagon I had, and also fitted the 15" wheels to it.. you can see a pic of it here: https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/171162-lifting-a-96-legacy-l/?tab=comments#comment-1417502

• Thanks 1