Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum lines

I have an 85 GL sedan with an EA82 motor.  It has been sitting for years and I just recently popped the hood to dive in as a project and get this thing back on the road.  What I was presented with was quite amazing.  The rabbits around here have always liked to chew wiring but this is the first time I have seen them eat vacuum lines.  Well they did.  Every single vacuum line is completely gone.  Chewed right down to the nipple that the line was connected to.  It also turns out that the nipples on each of those "solenoids" the lines attach to are all cracked or chewed.

I suppose one way to look at it is that I have a blank slate for vacuum lines but I can't tell where most of them go to and from.  Any advice?  How would you all approach this one?

Step-a-toe, that is great advice.  We actually drained the fuel tank before we parked it because we knew it would sit for a while.  I have done plugs, wires, changed oil, new fuel filter, air filter etc. before I fired it up.  It of course barely runs though and I'm pretty sure it because of all the sucking sounds it is making.  :)  My main issue is how to even approach getting vacuum lines back on this thing.  

When you suggest "blocking everything off" what do you mean?  Will the engine still work if all of the vacuum ports are blocked off?  Does this thing really need all of the vacuum stuff at all?

7 hours ago, Rampage said:

Go to Google and type the following.

1985 subaru gl vacuum diagram

or

ea82 subaru vacuum diagram

Then click Images. They always throw in other stuff, but you will find some info.

I don't want to sound abrasive or anything because I have received some great advice from this forum.  Where my "issue" lies is with forums in general and this one included.  Most are mature enough at this point that the single most common response to a post is either search the forum or Google it.  Usually someone with an actual answer does respond in most forums I have been to, which is good, but I guess I don't understand this response.  I for example have come here to not only ask some questions but possibly have a dialog with knowledgeable folks who might be great to talk to.  If all we expect is for people to "go find it for yourself" then the point of a forum to help build community is kind of lost.

I understand that many people are lazy and want others to do work for them but I would like to think that my posts don't indicate that I am such a person.  If they do please let me know exactly how and I will make those changes.

My goal with this question was not to ask for a diagram but to ask a knowledgeable group of folks how they would approach this scenario.  For example, do I remove a majority of the vacuum related junk because I live in a state where emissions is not a problem and it appears that most of the vacuum operated items are emissions focused, or should I try to restore the vacuum system to it's initial glory for reasons that I may not see at the moment.  My expertise in vacuum is limited at best. 

I do in fact already have a complete set of diagrams that I got from the local dealership, much to their amusement.  I'm just not sure if I need to use them in their entirety.  

Perhaps trace where each vacuum line goes and then ask the question: do I need this for it to run correctly? My car is fuel injected so I’m not much help knowing what your lines are connected to but I do know what is needed to make an engine run and can tell you if something is needed or not. If your 85 is like my 88, you will need a vacuum line to run the ventilation system.

16 minutes ago, 88SubGL said:

Perhaps trace where each vacuum line goes and then ask the question: do I need this for it to run correctly? My car is fuel injected so I’m not much help knowing what your lines are connected to but I do know what is needed to make an engine run and can tell you if something is needed or not. If your 85 is like my 88, you will need a vacuum line to run the ventilation system.

Totally agree that this would be the way to go.  The problem I feel I have is there are quite a few that I can't trace because there is no hose to trace.  I am looking at a lot of bare connections trying to figure out which ones go to which.  The diagrams I have could help me reconstruct the system, however I am interested in the conversation about do we as a community know what is required and what isn't.  It seems as though there are a significant amount of superfluous parts when emissions does not have to be a consideration.  It also seems like there are too many lines involved with the carb which I am looking at and trying to digest the tutorials put forth by ihscout54 here and this one from Loyale 2.7 Turbo here .  Thanks for the feedback. 

3 hours ago, shakyshot said:

I do in fact already have a complete set of diagrams that I got from the local dealership

You did not say that in your first post. I was just trying to help you quickly find a vacuum diagram. I did that search before I replied. I often find references to this forum and others.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, shakyshot said:

The rabbits around here have always liked to chew wiring but this is the first time I have seen them eat vacuum lines.  Well they did

Wish you were closer. My dog is a rabbit chaser and needs the action. 

good luck out there man !