Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what junkyard engine fits 2002 Legacy 2.5L?

Thanks, Forester2002. 

So I'm looking for an EJ251 engine? 

From the Infogalactic page:

Usage:

• Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-02 (US)
  • Impreza Outback Sport 00-02, 04 (US)
  • Forester 00-04 (US)
  • Legacy 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
  • Legacy 02-04 (US)
  • Outback 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
  • Outback 02-04 (US)
  • Baja 03-05 (US)

I should be able to get a 2.5L engine from any of those and drop it right in, right?  Any subtle issues to look out for?

Yea, the reman shortblocks are a decent deal, comes semi loaded with oil and water pumps, I think oil pan and more.

If you're looking for used ones. Yea, the EJ251/EJ252 from about '99-'05. I THINK the only thing to watch for (other than the 04-05 California EJ259), is the EGR pipe. If your car has an EGR, you'll want to get a replacement with one...

1 Lucky, JDM would mean shipping from Seattle, and that's expensive.  If I can get something in state, that's going to be way cheaper.  The dealer will get a container of freight every month or two and that whole container costs him about $5 grand for freight, but for me to get one pallet is going to cost close to one grand.

There is a 2001 Forester for parts on craigslist up in Fairbanks.  If I can get that guy to respond, I'll be set.

I called the Fairbanks dealer again, and this time I talked to a man instead of a girl.  He was able to find both new and reman short blocks.  The reman cost about $25 more, and included the oil pan and water pump, so I went with that.  Now I just need to get a quote from the shop to install it, and decide whether I'm going to give up the time or the money. 

Since it was a male I talked to the second time, I knew it wasn't the same female I talked to the first time.

It took the first one about 2 seconds to find nothing, but the dude who actually tried spent about 2 minutes navigating through the computer and cross-referencing part numbers to find the part and make the sale.  I don't think the first one tried at all.

No idea whether she doesn't care because she's female, or because she has some real malfunction, but she definitely doesn't care.

17 hours ago, nelstomlinson said:

No idea whether she doesn't care because she's female, or because she has some real malfunction, but she definitely doesn't care.

Honestly, I don't think it is a question of caring at all.. more likely she has little experience and has not been taught HOW to search for things outside of what the immediate computer screen shows her.

How many times have we all complained about parts store people not knowing how to look something up outside of the computer? Those stores still have actual printed books, but very few know how to actually use them. To a lot of these "kids" if it isn't in the computer, it doesn't exist... but get someone with the experience and they pull out the books and go old school.

I recently had the enjoyable experience of finding a younger person that HAD been taught how to search outside of the computer while trying to find the correct oil filter for the old tractor (1954) we recently purchased. (and yes, I got the correct filter!)