Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2010 Tribeca with 175k miles. I bought it used a few years ago without autoshop work papers or receipts, so I'm not sure what works been done. Overall, it drives smooth and without issues.

Today my check engine light, AT Oil Temp, Cruise, and Traction control lights came on. I brought it to O'Riellys for a code read, and they said it was P0700. Today and a few weeks ago, I was at about 15 mph and accelerating slowly, and my car jolted hard, but it's only happened twice and at low gears. 

Can anyone give me some insight on what the issue may be, and how expensive it will be to resolve? Obvi my transmission is funky, but any info is helpful. And is it neccesary to bring it to a shop or is it a self doable fix?

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

The 5EAT is notorious for a variety of problems. Mostly with the valve body and wiring harness. You will need to query the Transmission Control Module to find out what the actual problem is. P0700 is a generic code from the Engine Computer that has been stored at the request of the Transmission Module.

GD

Thanks, I ended up getting a P1710 code with a transmission reader. After some online research, looks like I have to have a speed sensor. Yeah looks like tons of other subi's have similar issues I've experienced and changing the "Turbine Speed Sensor No. 2" (I think it has a different name now) was the solution. The Dealership is telling me the valve body is having issues with moving fluid, and so they're saying I need to change the whole valve body. Wouldn't it have issues moving fluid because the sensor is messed up? Also, do you know if I can just buy the sensor myself and put it in? Some people are saying the sensor is connected to the valve body as a whole, so I'd either need to replace the whole valve body or buy the sensor and splice it into the body. Any and all comments help!

6 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You can buy the speed sensor for a different year 5EAT separately IIRC. Some years it's sold as part of the entire transmission wiring harness (requires R&R of valve body), and some years it's sold on it's own. 

GD

Do you know how I can find out if it's the year that it comes seperately vs sold as part of the whole tranmission? And if its one that sold seperate, can a layperson replace the speed sensor on their own easily?