Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 2.5 Power Steering fails, belt loose not broken

I was just on the phone with a mechanically inclined friend; any thoughts on procedure on this? Power steering fails, belt looks loose not broken, but looks like this belt drives most other pumps.  Is this a tensioner failure usually?

Yes. Harmonic balance failed completely. Either a new one from Subaru or one of the many "lightweight" units will work. I personally prefer the Fluidampr, but they aren't cheap. Lightweight is not really ideal for these engines as the weight helps to prevent phantom misfire codes, etc. We always recommend the Fluidampr, and a lightweight flywheel if you want to rev quick and not have misfire codes or problems with harmonics destroying bearings. 

GD

I saw some for under a hundred; the labor is going to be the real cost.  I need to get the car back on the road soon, have four different jobs, was doing census taking when the car broke down.  The harmonic balancer will just bolt back in and the belts go over that? Also need bolts for the unit.

Edited by ThosL

the crank pulley is one bolt thru the center - the one that holds it in place on the end of the crank - and you should be able to reuse the bolt you have.

there are no other bolts associated with it.

yes, simply unbolt what is there (takes some effort & you will need to keep the engine from turning over, as the torque is high) and install the replacement.. re-torque, put accessory belts on & adjust those.. done

In the video you posted he put oil on the crank shaft bolt. Not a good idea. If the key is not super tight in the groove of the harmonic balancer, the bolt will loosen over time. I've seen it happen. The bolt should have Red Loctite on it. You will see it on the bolt you take out. Use a spray cleaner like 2+2 and then air in the bolt hole on the crank to clean it out.

Torque: SOHC 94 ft. lb. DOHC 130 ft. lb.

1 hour ago, ThosL said:

I'm still not sure what happened here and since I never worked on the HB or the crankshaft, it must have had something to do with either a defective unit or defective installation.

there is a rubber section in between the main pulley (part that was left on your car) and the outer part that carries the belts. the rubber gets old & brittle over time and fails.. in your case it failed completely, the outer portion came away and the accessory belt polished up the remaining part.

It does happen.

Subaru_EJ_crank_pulley.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rampage said:

In the video you posted he put oil on the crank shaft bolt. Not a good idea. If the key is not super tight in the groove of the harmonic balancer, the bolt will loosen over time. I've seen it happen. The bolt should have Red Loctite on it. You will see it on the bolt you take out. Use a spray cleaner like 2+2 and then air in the bolt hole on the crank to clean it out.

Torque: SOHC 94 ft. lb. DOHC 130 ft. lb.

First I’ve heard about using locktite on the crank bolt!

I always use a small bit of grease to ensure I’m getting all the torque on the bolt properly. Never had an issue. 

Will cross reference service manual. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 9/1/2020 at 6:55 AM, ThosL said:

The mechanic is going to put it together this am, so hopefully they do it right.  Car has 277K miles.  I hope I am not being presumptuous that they will get it right.

It is a one bolt repair. Very easy.  22mm crank bolt, 12mm to adjust tension. Done. 

Many could literally do that repair with eyes closed.  You’d have to be really unlucky to have issues with it. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:03 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

DO NOT use loctite on the crank bolt. 

They are installed dry. Torque to 150 Ft/lbs. 

GD

+1.  Locktite is anecdotally, needlessly addressing previously mis-installed parts. Properly installed dry it’s never budging, just like they don’t from the factory. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi--the Harmonic Balancer loosened and started coming off today.

Lucky I wasn't on the road when this happened.

Is this simply a matter of tightening?  I just tighten the bolt as hard as I can?

I could have the shop where this was done tow it back and make sure it gets fixed.....I will call them anyway.

You can lock up the flex plate - Auto Trans or Flywheel - Manual Trans and torque the bolt.  

The other option is to use a quality strap wrench on the balancer to keep the engine from turning.

As GD said 150 ft lbs.  I use to take them to 125 ft lbs.