Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch cable keeps seizing/snapping

Anyone else have trouble with your clutch cables? I think my engine is overheating and causing this to snap right off the fork. It has happened to me twice in the past three weeks.

Symptoms:
* Car has a high idle. the throttle cable is gummed up on the carb so it doesn't always return to neutral position immdiately.
* A friend has suggested their might be a vacuum leak
* The cable snapped when I'm starting the car. I press the clutch just a bit harder to get it going and the last strand snaps.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 4.39.50 PM.png

Are the cables OEM, or aftermarket?  I've seen many comments that the aftermarket cables are not very good.

The big nut looks wrong.  There should be a half sphere face in contact with the fork - on the ones I have seen anyway.

What is the true color of the area right at the break?  It looks discolored.  IT seems very odd to me that it broke so cleanly also.

Thanks for the info. I've been buying through O'Reilly's getting cables that come in Pioneer boxes, part number CA-891. Doesn't sound like OEM.

I'll double check the routing. I'm sure I've got it under the steering column at least. 

The discoloration looks like the cable is being affected by heat to me. 

The cut looks clean enough that vandals did it, but I distinctly felt it snap pushing with my own foot.

Anyone have tips where to get OEM cables? I'll start shopping around.

Maybe as classic cars move forward someone will be selling some serious DIY cable making kits like motorcycle owners have had to do. Maybe they exist already for cars and trucks ? 

So my clutch cables just went up in price , cool. 

Routing is key. Making sure your pedal box isn’t cracked is another. Older 70’s first gen you want that support spring hanging it too. It all helps and all belongs there and in their respective places.