Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Subaru legacy starter problems

I had the same problem recently.  I thought it was my starter going bad at first.  Turned out my battery was failing, and it would only manifest in the mornings if I had let the car sit for a good long time, 12 hours plus.  Checked the voltage and it was at 12.4.  Not a whole lot below 12.6, but a good battery will read at least that much if you drove the car yesterday.  Batteries don't last long; mine was hardly 3 years old.

Is your battery old?  Have you checked it with a multimeter? Don't forget to check for loose connections at the battery and the starter.  Could also be a clutch safety switch going bad.  A battery slow drain due to an electrical fault is also possible, but I've never seen one. 

Edited by dirty_mech

Same thought.......battery is going south. You may want to clean off battery terminals to see if that helps. Also, attach battery jumper cables from another car, then try to start. If starts right up with no hesitation, then pretty good indication that the battery is bad.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, Blueashtaylor said:

My Soob has had trouble starting for the past couple weeks; I have to turn the key a couple of times before it tries to turn over. I replaced the starter, thinking that was the issue, but it didn't solve the problem. Any advice?

Does it have a manual or a 3AT or 4AT transmission? The ATs have different connectors for the Inhibitor switch.

And, do you have a volt meter?