Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trunk mounted bike rack for 05/08 Outback

Need to transport 2 bikes about 60 miles. Could break them down and throw them in the back but need room for other moving boxes etc.

I have an old Cycle Shuttle that worked on my 84 GL hatchback but it appears that on the 05 Outback, the spoiler trim piece that overrides the actual metal trunk door could be dislodged if I placed the clips on it.

Is trunk mounted viable for these cars or is hitch or roof rack the only solution?

12 minutes ago, rverdoold said:

Keep in mind that the trunk or rear gate is made of aluminium and not steel. That might dent a lot easier. I would go for roof or towbar carried bikes.

Hadn't even considered that aspect. As soon as I placed the clip on the spoiler, it popped the retaining grommet out of the body of the door. it is possible that the direction of the force exerted as I was installing the clip led to the dislodging of the spoiler but I still lack confidence in the arrangement. I would hate for the rig to let go as I motor on down the road, dragging the bikes and spoiler behind me...

Confidence lacking competence can be disappointing. "Hold my beer. Watch this..."

Wagon? or Sedan?

The wording "trunk" makes me think Sedan, but the talk of the spoiler sounds more like that on the lift gate of a wagon.

If so, those plastic spoilers on the top of the gate break off with a little ice build-up, and once it breaks off there's nowhere for the high mount brake light to mount, and the mounting holes will leak into the gate and exacerbate the already-common rear gate harness failure.  Those spoilers aren't too terribly priced from the dealership, but they come un-painted.

I'd go hitch- or roof-mount

51 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Wagon? or Sedan?

The wording "trunk" makes me think Sedan, but the talk of the spoiler sounds more like that on the lift gate of a wagon.

If so, those plastic spoilers on the top of the gate break off with a little ice build-up, and once it breaks off there's nowhere for the high mount brake light to mount, and the mounting holes will leak into the gate and exacerbate the already-common rear gate harness failure.  Those spoilers aren't too terribly priced from the dealership, but they come un-painted.

I'd go hitch- or roof-mount

You are correct, it is the lift gate of the wagon. I knew "trunk" wasn't the correct term but had a senior moment and couldn't recall the "lift gate" term.

Doing the move Saturday. so the plan is to take both the 05 and the 08 and put the bikes inside the 05 and Beverly Hillbilly down the road.

The Beverly Hillbillies backstory, plus the theme song & lyrics (1962-1971)  - Click Americana

Now you’re talkin ! 

Cheapie wall fart deal worked for me on an older model but placement same. 

Got rain gutters ? Nothing does anymore but I have some totally witchin Thule racks you can make use of if you stop by Milford tomorrow. 

Pretty sure the cheapie wall fart rack is there too which would not require rain gutters or “making it work” methods. It’s cheap yet safe all around. 

Edited by moosens