Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Transmision onto 3.0R engine

John, idosubaru,

Thank you for the replies & link to the adapter.  Just a heads up I have had 20+ Subaru's but have mainly been all older 80's in my changes & swaps.  Now I have newer and older but haven't changed / swapped much around in awhile.  I knew there was a change in there just couldn't remember where.  My XT6 was originally Automatic & I also had an 89 I bought wrecked a long time ago & used it for my beater & winter car (it was rough but a stick, when it rotted out I converted my 88 over to stick).  

My current cars are my 88 XT6 (owned since 95 & not driven in winter since then - currently needs motor - my heads are cracked).  I also have an 06 & 08 Outback(s) - (06 has 237,687 miles & the 08 only has 121,231 miles) - Also have a 2020 Ascent (just over 1000 miles) & a 60 RagTop VW bug Project which will be getting a WRX motor swap.

Anyway my XT6 I love & will not get rid of so now that I need to do something I figured it might be time to upgrade a little also.  I love the newer 3.0 in my current cars & also then all my parts will be compatible (to an extent).  Just wasn't sure if I should use my Tranny or switch to WRX.  May look into 6 speed (non-DCCD) but want to fund both projects also, lol.

Not sure how to reduce the size of the pic of my XT6 & VW to attach here.  I will try.

Thank you for the reply guys. 

Shaun N.

2 hours ago, nazvwxt6 said:

John, idosubaru,

Thank you for the replies & link to the adapter. 

welcome, glad you dropped into this forum.  you're by far the closest XT6 owner to me, i haven't seen one other than mine in at least 10 years, probably 15 or more.   i've had an XT (many - a rotating assortment) as a daily driver since 1992.

Hello again, yeah I know the trannies are mainly the weak links & even wrx 5 speeds but I do not plan to run it hard / abuse it in the way of any hard launches or anything.  I have run the car before with some spirited curved road fun but not a lot of hard shifting etc.  I just want it back on the road & and have a little more pep.  Hopefully this pic uploads, here is my XT6 & new project 60 Ragtop bug (this will be getting a WRX motor swap).

Thank you again & once I begin getting parts together I will update progress.  I used to follow the subaruxt.com site more regularly, but with it apparently gone I will get onto here more again.

Just a little more background on myself, I have had 20+ Subaru's through the years (some of the ones I wish I still had are: one of my 80's wagons (had an 80, 81 & 83), One of my Brats (had an 84 & 85), my 88 3dr RX Turbo)  The one I may miss the most is a 90 Legacy 4 dr sedan, bought it wrecked and fixed it up, needed a bigger car for wife & two boys.  That car with 2.2 was a tank, ran it until I just could keep up with the rust patches anymore, still ran great when had to retire it.  Also my dad was a parts and service manager at a Subaru dealer for 15+ years (their 1st ever new car was a 79 wagon (gold), - wish I had that one or the 77 or 78 (can't remember which it was, but it was dark green) they had before the 79.

Anyway thanks again everyone!

Shaun N.

xt6vw-2.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 11:47 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

legacy spec B 6-speed would be awesome

Yes and No. An STi unit might be a little easier all assuming, even though the Spec B units are geared better (6th gear only). I know it sounds crazy.. but trust me lol.

Edited by jdmleggy97

I have no power mods on my WRX and zippered 2nd gear smooth - under 75k miles(but, plenty of spirited driving and rev-matched decel). Many people have lost 3rd gear in the 5 speeds.....I've read the case is weak/flexes ?

that said, I think the 06-up 5spds got a little better 1st gear synchro....

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

19 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I have no power mods on my WRX and zippered 2nd gear smooth - under 75k miles(but, plenty of spirited driving and rev-matched decel). Many people have lost 3rd gear in the 5 speeds.....I've read the case is weak/flexes ?

that said, I think the 06-up 5spds got a little better 1st gear synchro....

I have never killed third in a 5sp, but I cant say the same for second. With both 1st and 2nd being part of the main shaft I've killed 5 of them haha. I really think it is a flex and shock issue but if you treat them with a little care they will stay together. If you happen to shred third you can just replace that gear which is nice when compared to the entire main shaft as I mentioned for the lesser two gears.

• Like 1

How are you guys killing EJ 5-Speeds?!  My 2002 WRX was bought new by my father, we dual drove it in Autox for 5 years, maybe 10 events per year.  I beat the piss out of my transmission: doughnuts and drifting in the snow, racing with multiple drivers, speed shifting, etc.  The only thing we have never done with this transmission is a high-rpm clutch drop.

The engine spun a rod bearing at 80k, but it wasn't until about 150k+ miles that the center differential started making noise, which seems to be a common failure mode for the Phase 2 5-speeds.

I can't speak for anyone's experience but my own, and my experience it that if treated with even a modicum of mechanical empathy, the 5-speed transmission is as strong as it needs to be for the WRX.  Heck, my 2002's "AA" transmission is the weakest one the USDM WRX was ever delivered with, still no problem shearing gears. :unsure:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

How are you guys killing EJ 5-Speeds?!  My 2002 WRX was bought new by my father, we dual drove it in Autox for 5 years, maybe 10 events per year.  I beat the piss out of my transmission: doughnuts and drifting in the snow, racing with multiple drivers, speed shifting, etc.  The only thing we have never done with this transmission is a high-rpm clutch drop.

The engine spun a rod bearing at 80k, but it wasn't until about 150k+ miles that the center differential started making noise, which seems to be a common failure mode for the Phase 2 5-speeds.

I can't speak for anyone's experience but my own, and my experience it that if treated with even a modicum of mechanical empathy, the 5-speed transmission is as strong as it needs to be for the WRX.  Heck, my 2002's "AA" transmission is the weakest one the USDM WRX was ever delivered with, still no problem shearing gears. :unsure:

To be honest I rip second gear at the strip's, well I used too lol most guys that drag scoobs take it a little easy on the 1st to 2nd transition and the same with launches. It all just depends on how your driving and who's the driver, but I will say more often than not I've seen 2nd gear failures if your hooning like a turd. 

The vehicle was :

03 LGT

257/205 Hybrid

VF43

ACT HD clutch

(all normal mods, intake, exhaust, etc.)

tuned by torqued performance (eric minehart)

Not really sure how we all got sidetracked on the conversation haha, there's only one reason I would suggest a STI trans over a spec b unit.. the speed sensor on 4th Gen Legacy's isn't mechanical based. 

Edited by jdmleggy97