Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interchangeable Parts?

AA-Ron

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post as I'm the proud new owner of a 1983 GL Turbo Wagon.  Couldn't be luckier...it belonged to my wife's grandparents and has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 years untouched and was used only when they were on vacation - has 32K miles on it...mint condition.  Let's just say I'm ecstatic :-)

I've had all of the fluids drained and replaced...tune up...alignment etc.  My mechanic says it needs new transmission mounts and gear linkage (it's an automatic transmission 4WD and it pops into reverse pretty harshly and slips through the gears like butter when shifting). 

Question:  I've had a lot of trouble trying to find transmission mounts for an automatic for this year, make and model.  Are mounts (and other engine/drivetrain parts) from the '83 Brat (automatic transmission) interchangeable for my car?  Seem to be a lot more availability of parts out there for the Brat. 

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Many parts for these old ones are NLA, so it's going to be a search.  Junk yards, forums, ebay.   Keep an eye out for parts cars too.  It is likely there is a range of years that will be interchangeable, - I don't happen to know this year.  Earlier ones were, and the ones with EA82 engines are.

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome score! 

I’m sure you keep it and use it much in the same fashion as your wife’s grandparents did. While GD will say not particularly valuable it will have that sentimental value through family ownership and will be a very cool old school ride ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Probably better off fabricating your own mounts. Not much available that's decent quality. 

With that kind of mileage and in mint condition - much better to sell it to some foolish collector than to keep it. Rob some fool of multiple thousands of $$$ and run away before they can renege on the deal. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1