Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio Harness Wiring + Stereo Wiring!

Hello all! Got a beautiful Clarion stereo to fill the hole in the dash, and had a few questions.

1) Does anyone have the wiring schematic to the harness coming from the car? Color codes?

2) Does anyone know the pinouts for this Clarion stereo? The plug matches, but from what I’m reading, that means nothing. 

3) How would you set a preset? I cannot pull the tabs out like old school radios used to be. Ideas?  I guess I should get it working first. But curious!

I know I have the only speaker in the center of the dash, took the glovebox out and saw the plug into a shot-looking speaker. Looked White? With the radio plugged in, I have no response, but the clock in line with the wiring for the radio, works. Power is going through to the clock.

Thank you! I’m again humbled by the almighty USMB! I appreciate you all. 

C655E247-B6C7-4154-B15C-D865751B4991.jpeg

3474AE42-961F-44FC-AF54-ADEFE26B78E4.jpeg

F49CC0E0-CB24-4C2E-BDCE-F1A1EE499CF6.jpeg

C19DB575-EAC9-4380-8A6D-5426DE7C4279.jpeg

333CA756-BDEE-4E43-BDFA-3C52C695E626.jpeg

Edited by NuclearDeLorean
Clarification

Per the Wiring Diagram(s) which none are Brat specific, here's my guess.

White- Speaker
White- Other...speaker(maybe stereo?)
Blue- Switched Hot
Red(double)- Constant Hot
RedStripe(double)- Hmm...
Black- Ground

Also, anyone have a photo of the plate that goes over the plastic, but under the knobs for the stereo? There were colors that matched the dash color? #18, came in Grey, Brown, and Blue.

550F3725-90C6-4ABF-80FB-D3F316DB0612.jpeg

Added a photo

I own the service manuals. Every wiring diagram does not match the color codes I have in my hand. I have three separate factory guides as well as the 81 parts guide. Out of the 15 wiring diagrams I have, none match the radio colors.

i have it plugged in. No response. The radio could be a dud, I just want to make sure I have it wired correctly. 

696FE116-BED0-4A47-91A3-82FDC977609D.png

L - Blue
RL - Red-Blue
RG - Red-Green
B - Black
W - White

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blue is stereo hot, red is headlight switch, red yellow is headlight dim. The 2 whites go to speaker. (Its possible I have the lights and dimmer backwards, but shouldn’t matter)

I’ve been playing with one of these exact stereos, and guarantee this is correct. 

You should be able to pull the buttons to set presets, mine was a little sticky when I got it. 

Edited by croak