Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer overfills oil level

FrankBxtrk

It’s a nonissue. Safety margin. And ambient temp fill measuring differs from operating temp measuring.  The “cold” (relative to operating temps) oil they’re adding doesn’t fully drain.

the amount indicated is minuscule and pointless   It’s like wondering if the pollen accumulating on your car will reduce gas mileage.

it’s a cost and liability to you and them to add room temp oil, run engine for awhile to warm up and displace hot oil, so it fully drains and then measure it again.  Much simpler to fill with a little more ambient temps, do a cursory check and done.

I doubt they’re working off of quarts but a 4.6 quart capacity Crosstek would not just take a simple round number of quart bottles. 

Edited by idosubaru

The dealers don't pour the oil from a bottle. They use a gun that pumps in a specific quantity from bulk containers.

The dealer is THE WORST place to get an oil change. Possibly worse than Jiffy Lube. They hire the same high school kids as every other lube joint and they replace plenty of engines due to drain plugs falling out, etc. You aren't getting an actual technician to change oil at the dealer. 

Are you wiping off the dip-stick and putting it back in for a proper check? 

As with many things - either pay for a proper shop with actual technicians that change oil or do it yourself. The dealer is not the hot ticket for anything other than free recall repairs. 

GD 

• Like 1

Yes, I figure they're doing this on purpose since it's the exact same (over)fill level that it was the first time. This is my second oil change on this car. I'm using the dealer, while under warranty, so that there will be no dispute down the road in case the (historical) issues come up regarding oil consumption.

Yes, I do wipe the dip-stick before checking the level.

If I do switch back to my trusted garage, I feel I must provide them with the genuine Subaru oil filter and, I know this is ridiculous, even 'genuine' Subaru oil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, FrankBxtrk said:

Yes, I figure they're doing this on purpose since it's the exact same (over)fill level that it was the first time. This is my second oil change on this car. I'm using the dealer, while under warranty, so that there will be no dispute down the road in case the (historical) issues come up regarding oil consumption.

Yes, I do wipe the dip-stick before checking the level.

If I do switch back to my trusted garage, I feel I must provide them with the genuine Subaru oil filter and, I know this is ridiculous, even 'genuine' Subaru oil.

They don’t deny warranties if its not an abused tricked out built forced induction present from mommy and daddy.  Average daily drivers don’t get needlessly voided warranties. 

None of the people i assist have ever even been asked for records when having large ticket items warranted.  If you live in an environment with lots of shady untrustworthy people or the dealer is garbage then yeah keep records, but they’d be in heap of !&&!&&! Customer service nightmares and lawsuits for making up voided warranties without compelling evidence to do so. Manufacturers don’t lean that way at all, for good reason, and it makes sense.

overfill is no big deal.  You’re getting extra oil, good bargain. 

you can still check the level and if you note that it’s deceasing, then you can worry about it being perfectly at the full mark to verify loss rate  

i don’t think 2019s are an issue. That was taken care of by like 2017... if we’re lucky 

1 hour ago, FrankBxtrk said:

The dealer has agreed to correct the oil level

To me it’s not worth the hit to the relationship.  No gain now, for a step closer to their complaining demanding uneducated customer label.  I’d pass and ask about it next time in person if you’re concerned. 

Edited by idosubaru