Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right pull persisting after alignment+tires

seems strange but check the bearings.  I had a rear that seemed fine till I noticed the tire was crooked one day looking at it from the back.  bearing was toasted but it wasn't noisy, the drum was keeping it together and slowly milling itself down.  might cause binding or rubbing when weight and force are applied but not when its up in the air.

also check radius rods and control arm for bad bushings or loose bolts.  It might be fine in the air but once you put weight on the car things could tweek out of alignment

1 hour ago, djellum said:

seems strange but check the bearings.  I had a rear that seemed fine till I noticed the tire was crooked one day looking at it from the back.  bearing was toasted but it wasn't noisy, the drum was keeping it together and slowly milling itself down.  might cause binding or rubbing when weight and force are applied but not when its up in the air.

also check radius rods and control arm for bad bushings or loose bolts.  It might be fine in the air but once you put weight on the car things could tweek out of alignment

The do alignments with the tires on the ground, so anything like that would show up on an alignment. Something has to be different when driving. I need some clear weather to swap radius rods.

You can also tell if the bearings are bad by simply checking for wheel movement.  Raise  the wheel off the ground a few inches.  With your hands at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions rock the wheel by pushing and pulling.  Any clunking or free play will mean the bearings are gone.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, Ionstorm66 said:

The do alignments with the tires on the ground, so anything like that would show up on an alignment. Something has to be different when driving. I need some clear weather to swap radius rods.

Not necessarily. If they just set and forget there could be many underlying issues that come into play once you drive off and things start moving as the suspension does its thing. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1