Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parasitic current drain ECU, EJ22 1992

15 hours ago, moosens said:

As mentioned in the PM I’ll let the 98/99 Forester 2.5 four cam go for $300

The 2002/2003 Legacy GT engine same deal. 

Both are in NE CT near the RI and Mass. corner. It’s a good two hours from the NY/CT line. 

Chances are really good that if you come up you’ll meet one of out other board members who is a super Subaru Tech and he also has parts cars and stock lying around. 

Temps going to drop some but doesn’t bother me. Both engines are inside , one on a stand the other tucked in a corner on a dolley. Back up to the bay and it’s an easy load. 

can you tell me if the wiring of an EJ22 OBD1 will be combinable with the wiring of the 99 Forester engine? Probably not since its obd2, right?

I don’t know. Guys who do that stuff all the time might just swap out or remove some pins in connectors , so be sure you get a good reply from an experienced wrenchman. 

My job in life is to use and occasionally abuse the well kept used Subaru. That’s my game in a nutshell. I don’t bother with much of what’s been done by others with swaps from different t generations , or modifications for power , etc. 

Plug and play. 

But there’s help for you. Maybe make a separate post. 

13 hours ago, pvfahrer said:

can you tell me if the wiring of an EJ22 OBD1 will be combinable with the wiring of the 99 Forester engine? Probably not since its obd2, right?

no it's not.   i can't tell what you're trying to do or why you're asking but you have a couple options: 

1.  bolt your EJ22 heads and intake manifold onto the forester block - then it's all plug and play and easy.  it's just removing an engine and installing another one. nothing to it. 

2. swap the EJ22 wiring harness onto the 99 forester intake manifold so that the forester engine then become "plug and play" in your EJ22 vehicle.  But it'll need some creativity, the idle control mechanisms are different and there might be a few other glitches that need work arounds. the idle control is the big one - wiring alone won't solve that as the idle controllers are completely different.  I've always just swapped heads and haven't done this method. 

Edited by idosubaru

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

no it's not.   i can't tell what you're trying to do or why you're asking but you have a couple options: 

1.  bolt your EJ22 heads and intake manifold onto the forester block - then it's all plug and play and easy.  it's just removing an engine and installing another one. nothing to it. 

2. swap the EJ22 wiring harness onto the 99 forester intake manifold so that the forester engine then become "plug and play" in your EJ22 vehicle.  But it'll need some creativity, the idle control mechanisms are different and there might be a few other glitches that need work arounds. the idle control is the big one - wiring alone won't solve that as the idle controllers are completely different.  I've always just swapped heads and haven't done this method. 

Okay i see there is more information needed here, sorry. 

I have an EJ22 Obd1, likely 93-95 (only two grey connectors), in a VW vanagon. This engine seeps oil (got a lot better after replacing numerous seals and gaskets) and uses a lot of oil (1qt on 250mls) on the highway. I am trying to see what my best options are here. 

Option (1) take a EJ2.5 engine and slap my EJ22 heads on and do straight replace. Problem here is that i don't know the condition of my heads and my oil consumption and uneven compression could be from bad heads as well. So i would end up having to get the heads rebuild which defeats the purpose financially.

Option (2) take the entire DOHC EJ25 engine and replace the EJ22 OBD1 with it. Here i am trying to understand to what extend the wiring of the EJ22 OBD1 is going to be compatible with the 99 EJ25. An additional question would be, are the wiring looms and ECU of lets say a 99 DOHC and a 98 SOHC engine identical/compatible. This would be for the case i start searching for a loom. 

Option (3) find a Subaru H6 and do the 6 cylinder conversion i was always dreaming off.. but thats kind of a long-term thing

Option (4) stop wasting my time and get a modern car... although that will most likely not happen because this would be dull.

SO i guess the main question i am having is, what wiring and ECU are compatible between engines and years.

Edited by pvfahrer

Subaru nonturbo internal oil loss is almost always through the rings - not the heads or valve stem seals.  I think you can pressurize the cylinders (like a leak down test) and see where the pressure is being lost to confirm.  But it's never the heads. 

An additional option is to re-ring your current EJ22 - you don't have to split the block to do that.  Buy rings, pull heads, swap rings, reassemble.

3 hours ago, pvfahrer said:

EJ22 OBD1 is going to be compatible with the 99 EJ25. An additional question would be, are the wiring looms and ECU of lets say a 99 DOHC and a 98 SOHC engine identical/compatible.

1999 has two different, noninterchangeable EJ25's.  Earlier you mentioned a 99 Forester Ej25, now you're stating 99 DOHC - which is outback/legacy.  You need to pick one in regards to any questions about 1999.  The answer is different for each of those 1999's. 

1996-1998, and 1999 Legacy/Outback:
All of these EJ25's are plug and play compatible with your EJ22.  The EGR will need worked around if they differ and you'll need the EJ25 exhaust manifold. Easy. 

1999 Forester and Impreza RS:
the plugs are different, it is not plug and play, and the idle control mechanism is completely different and if you end up working through all the issues, getting it to run without a check engine light will be problematic if that's a local inspection/emissions issue. 

I would rering the Ej22 or use the EJ22 heads on the EJ25 block.  It's highly unlikely the EJ22 heads are bad - statistically whatever EJ25 you buy probably has more chance of being problematic than your EJ22 heads. It's not like EJ25 blocks don't fail frequently enough - most of us that have been around awhile lost count of failed EJ25 blocks a LOOOOONG time ago and have never seen a failed EJ22 head.  So if you're just going to guess and not leak down test or do a pressure test - you're best gamble is to go with the EJ22 heads over an EJ25 block.  Although it is true that if you know the person selling the Ej25 block maybe there's some more complicated calculus to that equation....

Edited by idosubaru
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

Subaru nonturbo internal oil loss is almost always through the rings - not the heads or valve stem seals.  I think you can pressurize the cylinders (like a leak down test) and see where the pressure is being lost to confirm.  But it's never the heads. 

An additional option is to re-ring your current EJ22 - you don't have to split the block to do that.  Buy rings, pull heads, swap rings, reassemble.

yeah i guess that would be option 1B, i have somebody who's selling a EJ22 long block local for $150... rings and new head gaskets and maybe some odds and ends are probably $200. So i could also go with the EJ25 for the same money.

The engine that mooens offered is a DOHC out of a Forester no EGR, so this would mean i could take the entire engien and plug and play it right into the EJ22 OBD1 loom, guess i would habe to get the appropriate ECU then?

5 hours ago, pvfahrer said:

The engine that mooens offered is a DOHC out of a Forester no EGR, so this would mean i could take the entire engien and plug and play it right into the EJ22 OBD1 loom, guess i would habe to get the appropriate ECU then?

DOHC Forester can only be a 1998.

crack I keep forgetting yours is a 90-94 EJ22.

For 1995-1998 EJ22 and EJ25 swaps you don’t do anything. Just pull the engine out and install the other. Any ECU runs any engine for those.

I haven’t done 90-94 stuff but I think the connectors are different?  I think you swap the 90-94 intake wiring harness onto the EJ25 intake manifold. If you do that the EJ22 will run the EJ25 beautifully, they’re the same an interchangeable.

I’ve even swapped them out just for kicks - for no reasons except to see if there’s performance or gas mileage differences - nope - I’ve put thousands of miles on a bunch of different ECUs - exactly the same.

90-94 EJ22s are dual port exhaust so the exhaust will bolt right up to a 1998 EJ25.  1996-1998 exhausts don’t bolt up so they also need an EJ25 exhaust manifold. But your pre 1995 will bolt right up.  No exhaust needed. 

Edited by idosubaru

59 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

DOHC Forester can only be a 1998.

crack I keep forgetting yours is a 90-94 EJ22.

For 1995-1998 EJ22 and EJ25 swaps you don’t do anything. Just pull the engine out and install the other. Any ECU runs any engine for those.

I haven’t done 90-94 stuff but I think the connectors are different?  I think you swap the 90-94 intake wiring harness onto the EJ25 intake manifold. If you do that the EJ22 will run the EJ25 beautifully, they’re the same an interchangeable.

I’ve even swapped them out just for kicks - for no reasons except to see if there’s performance or gas mileage differences - nope - I’ve put thousands of miles on a bunch of different ECUs - exactly the same.

90-94 EJ22s are dual port exhaust so the exhaust will bolt right up to a 1998 EJ25.  1996-1998 exhausts don’t bolt up so they also need an EJ25 exhaust manifold. But your pre 1995 will bolt right up.  No exhaust needed. 

sounds good, thanks!