Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru XT na help!!

going to look at an xt and its a na with an auto. it has 160k miles. been sitting for a while. want to compression check the engine, what are the numbers for a healthy engine? how long will it take to do? Im guessing take out the efi fuse or is there another fuse? thanks for the help. i will use it as a daily driver and wont be racing it or redlining it.

it is red and beige interior.

I would just change the oil and fuel, and start it first. No reason to mess with compression unless it runs.

Fuel is easy, just pull the hose going into the fuel filter off. Extend it with some more hose into a jug. Connect the green connectors and turn the key on. It will cycle the pump on and off. Keep pumping until its all out.

Then look at the fuel and see if there is a lot of curd. If it looks clear, throw 5 gallons in, hook the hose back up, unplug the connector and see if she runs.

PS: white on black text is a pain to read!

Edited by Ionstorm66
  • Like 1

Prop open throttle plate, disable fuel pump (there’s a plug on pump under car in front of p/s rear wheel) test. 

Or pull the fuel hose in the engine bay and place it in a bottle surrounded by a towel so you can see what the fuel looks like at the same time.

I doubt I’d bother, whatever issues it has won’t likely be compression. Or, if it is you can probably tell by seeing if the radiator is full or empty/antifreeze or water or it’s been abused. 

Is a healthy engine. The cruise control don't work. It needs several days of cleaning. The drivers seatbelt doesn't go forward when going out. The air hot cold thing is stuck in the hot. Has that old car smell to it. Has a couple of buttons can't figure out where they go. Missing a center cap. Got it for $1200 the dang antenna still goes up n down. The drivers seatbelt top thing needs the panel fitted. 

3 minutes ago, xXArchusXx said:

Is a healthy engine. The cruise control don't work. It needs several days of cleaning. The drivers seatbelt doesn't go forward when going out. The air hot cold thing is stuck in the hot. Has that old car smell to it. Has a couple of buttons can't figure out where they go. Missing a center cap. Got it for $1200 the dang antenna still goes up n down. The drivers seatbelt top thing needs the panel fitted. 

Is it factory cruise control, or aftermarket? Factory cruise control has a button on the dash under the defrost, and controls on the wheel.

So if you look under the rear seat on the wall of the foot well there is a small bag with an allen wrench. That is for the seatbelts. You can put it in a hole behind the drivers seat and move the belt manually. Move it all the way back and forth, it should free up. Might start working then. Next I would check the door switch.

The hot/cold is a pair for cables. You can remove the selector buttons, and pull out the controls. Then carefully remove the cables. They are attached on the other end, so pulling one should push the other. See if you can move them with some pliers, only pull the cable that is shorter. Squirt some lube on the cable as you pull the other cable.

Which buttons cant you figure out? Show some pictures.

2 minutes ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Is it factory cruise control, or aftermarket? Factory cruise control has a button on the dash under the defrost, and controls on the wheel.

So if you look under the rear seat on the wall of the foot well there is a small bag with an allen wrench. That is for the seatbelts. You can put it in a hole behind the drivers seat and move the belt manually. Move it all the way back and forth, it should free up. Might start working then. Next I would check the door switch.

The hot/cold is a pair for cables. You can remove the selector buttons, and pull out the controls. Then carefully remove the cables. They are attached on the other end, so pulling one should push the other. See if you can move them with some pliers, only pull the cable that is shorter. Squirt some lube on the cable as you pull the other cable.

Which buttons cant you figure out? Show some pictures.

Thank you. I'll get some pictures when I get back from an appointment. 

The cruise control is factory and it's an auto tranny. The buttons by the horn. 

No doubt the fuel is bad, if it's been in there over a year. 
As you start to run it, you'll be finding all the things that need attention.  Keeping the cooling system in top condition is the most important thing.  Every bit of it, from the multiple hoses to the radiator.  Non XTs have 7 hoses, I don't know XTs, but they should be similar.

The hardest part of trying to make this a daily driver is getting the NLA parts.  You have to scrounge, buy parts cars, DIY most repairs.

8 minutes ago, DaveT said:

No doubt the fuel is bad, if it's been in there over a year. 
As you start to run it, you'll be finding all the things that need attention.  Keeping the cooling system in top condition is the most important thing.  Every bit of it, from the multiple hoses to the radiator.  Non XTs have 7 hoses, I don't know XTs, but they should be similar.

The hardest part of trying to make this a daily driver is getting the NLA parts.  You have to scrounge, buy parts cars, DIY most repairs.

I'll do all the repairs except maybe the timing belt.

1 hour ago, xXArchusXx said:

I'll do all the repairs except maybe the timing belt.

Timing belt on a EA is about as easy as timing belts come. You can do in an about an hour with the engine in. The hardest part is getting the vbelt stuff out of the way. My tip for that is remove the alt and ac compressor bracket, plus the battery. Helps you get to the fan/water pump pulley better.

Timing belt on a EA is about as easy as timing belts come. You can do in an about an hour with the engine in. The hardest part is getting the vbelt stuff out of the way. My tip for that is remove the alt and ac compressor bracket, plus the battery. Helps you get to the fan/water pump pulley better.

its up front there isnt a cover or anything, i can do it but it looks like the belt there is brand new.

the glove box wont close lol.

3 hours ago, xXArchusXx said:

Oil pressure Drops when at idle.

Normal.  Owners manual or a TSB from Subaru mentioned it long ago. Also the sender and gauges are ancient and likely not accurate. Highly unlikely to have oil pressure issues, put a real gauge on it to check if you’re worried. 

wipers - get an adapter to use regular blades. They’re basically Subaru only unless you get an adapter.  It’s super simple. 

2 minutes ago, xXArchusXx said:

its up front there isnt a cover or anything, i can do it but it looks like the belt there is brand new.

You can see the serpentine belt on the AC/Alt/Waterpump AND the timing belt? Its pretty common to leave the covers off. They are half the timing belt job.

Check down for my post on wiper blades.

Edited by Ionstorm66

2 minutes ago, xXArchusXx said:

Yeah those glove box key mechanisms  fall apart all the time now that they’re old.  If it’s there try to fix it, they’re usually a high demand item as far as XTs go. 

Edited by idosubaru

7 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Normal.  Owners manual or a TSB from Subaru mentioned it long ago. Also the sender and gauges are ancient and likely not accurate. Highly unlikely to have oil pressure issues, put a real gauge on it to check if you’re worried. 

wipers - get an adapter to use regular blades. They’re basically Subaru only unless you get an adapter.  It’s super simple. 

My aftermarket gauge matches my dash gauge for oil pressure. I have a 92, so its possible the gauge/sender is better. They are super common to get plugged with sludge, making them read poorly at low pressures. 

Just now, idosubaru said:

Yeah those glove box key mechanisms fall apart all the time.  If it’s there try to fix it, they’re usually a high demand item as far as XTs go. 

there is a key thing but it falls out, 

You can see the serpentine belt on the AC/Alt/Waterpump AND the timing belt? Its pretty common to leave the covers off. They are half the timing belt job.

there is nothing ontop of the engine. its a H6 engine so idk. there is a belt on the ac and stuff but there may be another belt I  haven't looked that deep yet.

4 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

thanks for the info. the gauge has 160k miles on it so its probably old. do you recommend a specific wiper adaptor?

1 minute ago, xXArchusXx said:

there is a key thing but it falls out, 

there is nothing ontop of the engine. its a H6 engine so idk. there is a belt on the ac and stuff but there may be another belt I  haven't looked that deep yet.

thanks for the info. the gauge has 160k miles on it so its probably old. do you recommend a specific wiper adaptor?

you can reseal the oil pump and shim the pressure relief or stretch the springs in the heads for better oil pressure. 

I don’t know part number or brand for XT adapter. Here’s an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wiper-Adapter-Bosch-3392390298/dp/B015YD1US8/ref=asc_df_B015YD1US8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241969781511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13838419871965489114&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009441&hvtargid=pla-571072893796&psc=1

I bought a few adapters like 20 years go and have never needed to look since, so that probably isn’t the same brand or identical. But it’s very similar if it’s not.