Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2010 legacy... like a lot of folks, my headlights go out a lot.  BUT, even when they are working they seem VERY low... there is such a difference between the high beam and low beam that it can be annoying.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a certain type of replacement bulb that helps?  

I have cleaned the cluster cover so that isn't an issue... it's fairly clear.  

The low beam takes an H7 or 12555H7 bulb. Try to find one with LL on the end of the part number. H7LL. The LL stands for Longer Life.

If the bulb socket connectors look black, replace it.

RockAuto has both, bulb and socket.

I had to replace the sockets on our 95 RHD. In 473k miles I've only replaced the bulbs twice. Delivering Mail the lights are on all day.

I would check the alternator output when running. If it is more than 14 volts the light bulbs don't last very long. The best voltage is 13.8v but some run at 14.2v.

The bulbs are rated 12v at 55 watts.

• Thanks 1

very mixed results with LED. problem is, the reflectors are designed for a 'long and skinny' light source - a filament. Most LED bulbs do not replicate that shape so, instead of a clean cut-off line the light 'splatters'. On some models, you might need to move of modify parts behine the reflector to accomodate heat sinks. A few folks have been happy with lled upgrades but, just make sure you can return anything you want to try.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

very mixed results with LED. problem is, the reflectors are designed for a 'long and skinny' light source - a filament. Most LED bulbs do not replicate that shape so, instead of a clean cut-off line the light 'splatters'. On some models, you might need to move of modify parts behine the reflector to accomodate heat sinks. A few folks have been happy with lled upgrades but, just make sure you can return anything you want to try.

That pretty well sums it up. The point of light output on an LED is smaller than a halogen filament. If it's located correctly, this generally means you actually loose some light output. I've used a couple different brands of LEDs in the low beams on my '00 and '04 Outbacks, and I get a fantastic clean cutoff vertically, but actually loose a bit to the sides, but it's only noticeable in a back to back comparison on a wall.

• Thanks 2

Well, most of this I learned from reading, but I did have a couple of co-workers that tried LEDs in their non-led headlights. At first they were - "OMG, now the stop signs are really glowing!!!" , I asked them if more folks were flashing them to dim their lights and they said, "well, yeah, I have noticed some of that"........  It didn't work well for them longterm.

• Like 1

I'll clarify, I LOVE my LED headlights. Considerable improvement in visibility, I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me, I've been on the receiving end of them (me in my Celica and my wife in the Outback) many times and they're completely acceptable in traffic. I don't love the 6000k color, but 4500k LEDs are CONSIDERABLY more expensive.

But, I tested them back to back, I make sure my lenses are clear (a quick buff every couple years keeps them looking like new), and aimed correctly.

I cannot imagine a situation where a well made and correctly installed LED in a halogen housing would scatter more light where it's not wanted than the halogen, as the light output is smaller. But, it is still important to note that they are different, and how they react with each housing will vary.

A friend gave me a set of cheap H6054 LED housings, because the light output was so awful. I intend to use them on my XT6, which is never destined for street use again (and may not even get headlights).

I was riding in another friend's Ford van recently, and he was bragging about how bright his new headlights were, but it didn't take long to realize they were casting light all over where it shouldn't be. These were cheap aftermarket OEM replacement housings with halogen bulbs in them. Worked out well for me, he gave me his old ones, they're just a little cloudy, and they'll fit my van, my dad's RV, and my in-laws RV...

The point is, the answer is not black and white. Some LEDs work great in some halogen housings, some probably don't. Some cheap reflectors/projectors/lenses suck, regardless of light source they are using or were designed for.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Got some Phillips bulbs... Seem brighter but they don't seem to be aimed correctly.  Left side especially seems to have a laser focus about 45 degrees to the left and hits hard on the center lane line.  Not sure how i could have got it in their incorrectly. Seemed really snug.  In general they are brighter, but they just seem not to be shining in front of the car.  That was sort of the case with the old ones too though.  Hmmm