Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat swap question for 2000 ej25

I looked for a post about this already but it was pretty old. Like 06 or something... Anyways i was wondering what the cutoff years for the seats to be bolt in swaps i know that at least 91 to 07 ej should swap no problem but what about newer? I looking to swap a wrx or sti seats front and back into a 2000 outback wagon. The junk yards around me have alot of 2015s and around those years

In CO the yards will not sell seats with airbags in them.  You can try to cut off the airbag label and yellow wiring but thats a bunch of work.  Rear seats  between full size Legacy and WRX.STI will be different widths.

20 minutes ago, lmdew said:

In CO the yards will not sell seats with airbags in them. 

No kidding.  Do you know why?

If someone had too much time to burn could they remove the cover, then airbag, and buy the seat without the airbag? Assuming the yard leaves the seats in.

8 hours ago, forester2002s said:

Potential liability. They don't want to get sued if the airbags fail to deploy.

There may also be government restrictions dealing with used airbags.

Liability is likely but doubtful it’s from not deploying. There’s millions for sale at most yards, eBay, online. Yards advertise measures to take recalled airbags off the market, ensuring a safe supply of used.

Maybe it’s a concern of customers tampering with them during removal for other stuff.

Or, airbags potentially being exposed to weather once doors or glass are removed.

8 hours ago, nicksubaru said:

Im in CA. When did they subaru start putting airbags inside the seats? 

Varies by model, trim, and year. It starts in only higher trim models in 00-02, I think higher trim Outback (maybe legacy) only and expands from there. Foresters start getting them in 03 I believe  

But it varies by trim in the early years so it’s not easy to nail it down in a simple format to remember.

cars101.com tells which year model and trim has them. you’d have to look through each generation and model. 

After looking and removing my seats, they might have air bags in them. the driver seat has electric motors to move it forward and back. I have a yellow plug on it too. The car is a 00 outback limited with all the bells and whistles. But the airbags isn't what im asking really, more like a side note.

Im wondering what i can bolt right into this car. What i should be looking for. What year range. I have an older (02) wrx and i like those seats. But most of the yards around me have like 2012-2017 wrx in there yards. Almost all are smashed in the front or back. So im wondering if i could bolt those in or is there a change in the seats bolt pattern at a certain year, model or trim level? 

Also whats peoples opinion on their favorite seats? 

seats have loads of personal preference to them - novelty leather heated high low adjustments, support.   

fronts have lots of options and cross platforms easily. Rears are generally confined to the make and year of the receiving vehicle. 

and yes bright yellow connector means airbags. 

Edited by idosubaru